Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot lately about the pros and cons of various break pads, and of course some of it has to do with wear and tear on the rotors. My question is, how does one determine when it's time to replace the rotor? Those babies are expensive, but on the other hand if I use soft brakes and have to change them repeatedly replacing the rotors might make more sense (cents??). I've only got about 14,000 miles so far with the stock brakes and the rotors are already somewhat scratched up, is there a check on the thickness? I don't have the manual in from of me to see if there is anything in there on that. Thanx.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
According to the service manual for my Custom, the limits are as follows:

Brake Disc Wear:
Standard Front: 4.8-5.2mm (0.19-0.20 in) Rear: 6.8-7.2mm (0.27-0.28 in)
Service Limit Front: 4.5mm (0.28 in) Rear: 6.0mm (0.24 in)

Brake Disc Warp:
Standard: 0.1mm (0.004 in) or less
Service Limit: 0.3mm (0.01 in)

Soft brake pads are easier on the rotors, as long as they are not overheating the rotor which could cause warpage.
Hard brake pads (overly hard) will actually wear out the rotors.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Big B. When it comes to brakes it looks like they'll get you either way. Think I'll go with the OEMs and hope for the best. Nice speedo btw.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Thanx Big B. When it comes to brakes it looks like they'll get you either way. Think I'll go with the OEMs and hope for the best. Nice speedo btw.
I've read in the mechanics column of more than a few magazines and here as well that the OEM pads are generally the way to go. The manufacturers do a significant amount of research into what's going to be a good balance between wear and stopping performance.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've read in the mechanics column of more than a few magazines and here as well that the OEM pads are generally the way to go. The manufacturers do a significant amount of research into what's going to be a good balance between wear and stopping performance.
Some people don't want a "good balance", but want the best stopping power they can get. With EBC HH sintered pads (V2K and 900) I have noticably better braking, but probably with shorter rotor life. That's a trade I'm willing to make.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
How often do you change them on your car? I am a relatively high mileage rider and have never changed rotors on any of the bikes I have owned, nor have I known anyone who has. Does that make it right? Probably not, but at 75,000 miles on several bikes the rotors all did the job with no deterioration in braking effectiveness. I certainly would not be worrying at 14,000 miles.

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
With EBC HH sintered pads (V2K and 900) I have noticably better braking, but probably with shorter rotor life. That's a trade I'm willing to make.
From what I've seen the HH's really chew up the disc surfaces. The stock pads really are pretty good and are easy on the discs. If you want more bite Ferodo makes excellent organic pads that won't chew up the discs.

·
Bug Killer Extraordinaire
490 Posts
And EBC makes replacement rotors. Another thought, is if your disc's are not warped perhaps a machine shop could metal spray on a new layer and then turn down the thickness to a like new condition.
the scary part is that they are expensive enough to make metal spray an option. I don't remember that being cheap

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I've been thinking about trying the HH pads, but am not due for a while at 22.5K miles.

Thanks for the comment on the speedo. It's the Spiderman 3 logo with the 3 changed to a 9 referencing my 900.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.