Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My first post and new owner of 1982 Gpz 550 in SoCal. Paid $525 including new registration but I LOVE the looks of my "new" first bike :grin: .

Been in my garage for about a month so I'm having bit of battery problem right now and last time I started it couple weeks ago I had some gas leaking from the carbs :-? . Both issue I'll need to work on within the next few weeks while I wait to complete my MSF class in mid-January. Great site for Kawa owners but I wished more info was available for my bike model. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Welcome Gpzrider,

The 550 is a great bike and no doubt that you will have some maintenance issues to look at. The carbs can be leaking fuel due to the floats being stuck open. If you haven't stripped down the carbs yet, I would put that on my to do list and clean them real well. You may have to rebuild them or want to do that depending on what it looks like in there.

As far as the battery goes, get yourself a battery tender made by Yuasa/Deltran or the like to keep your bike trickle charged.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the greeting 1Adam12! Well, I managed to charge the battery and the bike started right up but the second carb from the left is leaking gas pretty good. My wife is complaining about the gas smell coming from the garage ;-) (attached to our house) where I've been working on the bike even with the garage door fully open. I have to admit it does smell pretty bad.

The problem like you said is probably either the float itself or stuck float needle. It looks like I need to open up the carbs and clean them as you've suggested. I've never worked on any carbs before but I'm going to try to see if I can do this myself (I have both Clymer and Haynes) not just to save some money but I want to learn how to work on my own bike.

Riding is always more fun then playing grease monkey but there is some sense of self-satisfaction (almost therapeutic) on being able to work on your own bike. Wish me luck and any helpful hints would be much appreciated!

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
GPZRider,

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking bike you got there :)
besides the carbs, also check the gas tank. If it sat for a while there could be rust and dirt in the tank ...this could also mess up the carbs quickly.

Heather

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Great that you have the manuals to reference to, but if you have a digital camera take pictures as you take things apart.

Once you've disconnected everything and are getting ready to remove the carbs, get a small container to let the gasoline out of the float bowls. I have a plastic tube that I put on and let the carbs drain away before taking them off the bike.

Remember that all of your rubber parts do not want to sprayed with carb cleaner. Tends to deteriorate them. Should consider just rebuilding all the gaskets and getting new float needles, but a simple cleaning may just what the Dr. ordered. You can be the judge when you actually see the condition of the carbs.

good luck with it and there are lots of people on the forum that can help guide you through.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
my kawi bike manual covers your bike. It is the factory issue and the 5th edition. I have a 81 kz550 A2 any questions you have just e-mail . I took my wife's 750 carbs apart and cleaned them myself (DO NOT seperate the carbs from each other) and had someone else tune it...Mack

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off, nice bike ! I recently just purchased an 83' GPZ 550 and I love the bike. It's cool that you posted a picture, because I was considering painting mine black so now I have an idea of what it looks like. And it seems I have the same carb problem, althought it's bearly leaking. I also plan to take out the carbs and clean them.

BTW, if you are looking for just straight info on the bike, this site is pretty good although it hasn't been updated in a long time.

http://www.gpz550.com/gpz550/index.htm

·
Registered
302 Posts
GPz all the way man. Although I don't think it's going to stay with me for long. :cry:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks TachyonS14 & I completely agree with you nathan600r!

Yes, the more I look at the bike more I like what I see. Actually, my first option was Yamaha RZ350 or FZR600/400 but absolutely no regrets on buying the GPz even with the minor carb problem. The riding position is sooooo much more comfortable for me with higher steering position being that I'm no longer young anymore.

I was looking for one with good original red paint with stripes but couldn't resist the black "Mad Max" look once I saw this bike. With my new black leathers and matte black Scorpion helmet with smoke visor on the way, I think I'll look pretty cool for someone who'll be hitting big 40 soon!

Thanks for the encouragements guys and let's keep this forum overflowing with posts in the New Year! Happy New Year to every Kawi owners!!

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
My current love is an 84 GPz750 and I love it. It has passed through most of my family for the last 8-9 years. My younger brother bought it and rode it very little before selling it to my nephew who let it sit a few years. He than sold it to my older brother who had it repainted but never rode it. I got it from him last year and had to rebuild the carbs, replace the tank (thank you ebay), and chase down assorted electrical gremlins before I could ride it. It had 11,000 miles on it when I got it and now has over 18,000. Now it's disassembled again to get new fork seals, the swingarm rebuilt, new sprockets and chain, new brakes all the way around and new paint (I'm going for the lime green Eddie Lawson look). I also want to put on flush mount marker/signal lights and eliminate the rear fender but haven't decided for sure yet. Depends alot on time and money. The bike already had a 900cc overbore and 4 into 1 header with re-jetted carbs and K&N filters done before my younger brother bought it. For $400 and some labor helping my brother on his house I think I got a steal.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you are able to find new rotors for yours, let me know where you found them. I've looked just about everywhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts