Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has a backrest for his Softail Harley that clips on and off in seconds. The attached photo below was taken showing the backrest held up by hand off the rear clip. The luggage rack is separate and is attached to the seat.

He bought the bike used and it came with it. He didn't even know it came off that easy until I squeezed the pins and off it came. Slip in over the front pins and push it down over the rear attach points and it locks in place. He's really happy but I'm not. I want one for a Mean streak. Has anyone seen anything like this for Vulcans? I've been trying to find one on the the web (JC Whitney has one for Hondas only). It is the perfect solution for adding a backrest the few times a year that I would need one.

Attachments

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has the windshield too. Someone needs to provide that setup. When you take it off the only thing you see is the posts that are only about an inch long. the bushings are black so you don't notice that it sticks out a little.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The fist time I saw the quick detachable mounts on my freinds fatboy,I thought boy would those be nice on my Nomad.

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice, easy to navigate, website at National Cycle. Unfortunately, The quickSet backrest is only available for the 900. Why do I get the feeling that in the end, I'm going to have to build what I want.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
You can take the backrest mounting brackets and cut notches in them to allow the brackets to slide in and out easy. I did this on my C50 before I went to a complete solo setup on it. I cut the notch on the front mounting hole in a more forward position, and the one on the rear in an up/down position. You'd slide the front on, then snap the back down, tighten the fender bolts, and off you go.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I installed a detachable rider backrest on my Vulcan VN750 which I bought from Pro-Tac (Pro-Tac Home Page) for $125 + $10 s/h. They also make 'em with optional decorative studs ($10 more) so you can match to studded seat if you have one. Quick delivery, 3 year warranty, was a piece of cake to install, did not have to remove the seat. To remove backrest, no tools required: you just pull backrest out of the mounting brackets. If you really wanna get fancy, you could probably get the black mounting brackets chrome-plated locally. To see some of their Kawasaki model removable rider back rests and how they're attached, go to: Pro-Tac Kawasaki pictures NOTE: At bottom of their home page they state that "Pictures are not posted for all models" so they may actually have back rests available for other bikes not shown! Give 'em a call at 1-800-698-2678. They're great folks to deal with.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am looking for a quick detachable backrest for the Meanstreak also. I checked out Pro-Tac Home page, but did not see one for the Meanie. I will give a call when I have time. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
39 Posts
yea Brian, give 'em a call for sure. At bottom of their home page they state that "Pictures are not posted for all models" so they may actually have Meanie back rests available. The mounting brackets are pretty simple - they attach to the rear shocks - and I don't see any reason why it would be difficult to make a rider back rest for the Mean Streak or new Vulcan 900. Just let 'em know there's a demand for those models. Good luck!

I am looking for a quick detachable backrest for the Meanstreak also. I checked out Pro-Tac Home page, but did not see one for the Meanie. I will give a call when I have time. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fyi, all I just received eMail from Pro-Tac informing me that they _do_ make rider back rests for Kawasaki Mean Streak and the 900 Classic LT which are not shown on their other Kawasaki models pictures page. See my previous post for Pro-Tac's web site URL and contact info. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts