Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I probably should have asked this question "before" I changed my oil but today I changed out the oil filter and oil. I've seen a couple of posts where folks have cleaned (found metal shavings) in the oil screen? So where is this screen located? At the next oil change I would like to see if it is clean. Also there were a couple of posts regarding possible failure of the pog at higher miles. I have about 6k miles on my 1999 Classic. I'm certainly not worried at this point but does this bike have the plastic or steel gear? thanks, Dick

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Some folks find metal shavings in their oil screen the first time the screen is cleaned. The shavings are likely some bits that were not cleaned out from machining parts of the motor at the factory. I found a small piece of congealed sealant in mine. It's important that the screen be there to prevent disrupting the flow of oil throughout the galleries to the motor. There are restrictors to balance the flow and any foreign material could cause a change in the design flow causing problem.
The oil screen is located on the bottom of the engine and the hex head access is best viewed from the left side of the motorcycle. I check the screen every other oil change (4,000 miles) and have found nothing since the first removal at 500 miles.
Bad news on the POG, Kaw changed to a steel oil pump gear in 2000. You best plan on changing it unless you can find out it already has been done. Not to would be russian roulette. It is a known weak component on the early Kaws and service life I have heard is between 10,000 and 20,000 miles. Supposedly, the gear can be removed and replaced without removing the engine in about 4 hours.

T-man

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'll check that screen at the next oil change. You say there is only 1 hex head screw holding it in. I asked about the plastic oil gear beacuse I had heard that some of the 1999 production classics had the steel one. I wonder if there is a way of checking by VIN number or if it definately applies to 2000 year models and up. I got a chuckle out of the word scan check scan that occurs before the actual post takes place on this site. I placed my name at the end of my append, D*i*c*k, and it removed it as an unnacceptable word phrase. :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
T-man. I did some digging around and found that indeed the pog seems to go somewhere between 10 and 20k miles. However, the incidence of failure on the 1500 classic is relatively low, much higher for the Nomad, and virtually unheard of with the 1500 a/b/c. The 4 hour repair that you mentioned is based on some talented mechanic out there that has a machine shop manufacture the steel gear and his instructions involve it's replacement through the clutch side. The instructions are fairly complex and given its homegrown origins I'm not sure if I would take that route. Apparently Kawasaki is aware of the problem and will replace it if and when it fails. Trouble is you have to notice in time the oil and temp lights that come on and shut the bike down rather quickly before any serious damage is done. That prospect also sounds risky. Not all dealers are even aware of this problem because its very possible that they have not seen any failures. Judging from posts there are some Kawasaki dealers that will replace the pog before it fails at no cost to the customer but that is against the official Kawasaki policy. Apparently the job is very involved and requires complete tear-down and splitting the transmission cases. I think I'll have a conversation with the dealer and feel him out on this It's now the slow season in the NorthEast and maybe If I'm lucky he may agree to do it and bill Kawasaki. Definately would be cost prohibitive, somewhere I've heard in the vicinity of $2k to fix If I were to pay to have it done before it failed.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I can't speak for other Vulcans, but on my 02 M/S the screen is held in with a 17mm bolt rather than a hex head.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a 98 VN 1500 Classic and the oil screen is on the left hand side just right to the kick stand spring. It takes a 17mm wrench to remove it.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Sgt Mike.

Here is a link that I found useful as a former 750 owner ( a great bike), not sure if it will asnswer an oil filter question. Another suggestion would be to pick the Kawi service manual. This can be ordered from the Kawasaki site.

http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike.htm

The vn750 group on Yahoo is supporting this now.

·
TINMAN
65 Posts
yes it does and its in where the drain plug is. you poke your finger in and pull it out ,. thats where it was on my 06

1 - 10 of 10 Posts