Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know where to buy an affordable air filter for a 1990 ZX1000B3 ZX-10? Right now the best option I have seen is K&N for $47. I was hoping there would be something more affordable, but I haven't been able to find it. I would even consider a used one at the right price. I have seen cheaper filters for other bikes, but no one seems to have them for the ZX-10. If anyone has any ideas on where to get an affordable filter, email me at [email protected]. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Factory vs. Aftermarket???

You directed me to the factory filter and made the statement about not having to worry about air/fuel ratios getting messed up. I have always been under the impression that the K&N filters are supposed to be the best you can get...and that they were a drop in replacement. Is that not really the case? I will elaborate on my particular situation a little more, as it may change opinions of what I should do. I bought the bike used not too long ago. It appeared to be running rich (missing on a couple of cylinders and smelled like gas pretty strong even after replacing the spark plugs...oh, and idled at around 3,000rpm minimum). So, I checked the choke...found two of the plungers to be stuck in the partially choked position. I freed them up and ran it a little more. The idle came back down as I had hoped and the gas smell seems to be gone. However, still missing...like it is running lean now maybe. I will add that I haven't replaced the plugs again yet, but I wanted to replace the air filter first. The reason being, I noticed that someone had removed the air filter material and wrapping it in pantyhose, thus leaving a very open air flow. I am assuming they did when it was running rich, rather than locate the real problem of the stuck choke plungers. I am hoping that this situation is now causing the bike to run a little lean and that when I replace the air filter and spark plugs I am hoping things start acting more like I think they should. Anyway, sorry for dragging this out, but please offer your opinion concerning the aftermarket vs. OEM filter. Thanks

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I think I paid around that price for a K&N air filter for my 1500 classic. That sounds like a fair price and once you change over to K&N you just clean and re-oil and your good to go. They will last for up to 100,000 miles...according to K&N advertisements.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just wanted to add something about K&N filters. There's been more and more info being posted on the web about how K&N (or any cotton/oil filter) is actually detrimental to your engine. Some of the info I've read talks about how the filters sacrifice filtration to obtain higher air flow. In my situation with a ram air type sport bike, I would rather not risk additional contaminates entering into the engine as a result of a pressurized air box. Also, there's been some talk among the late model ZX-10 owners about how a K&N filter actually resulted in decreased HP as evidenced from dyno tuning with a particular setup. This isn't a bash on K&N. Just what I've heard. For what it's worth, I have a K&N conical filter as part of an LPE intake system on my Camaro Z28.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
http://www.bmcairfilter.com/infoBK.asp
Its more expensive then the K&N's, but I have seen and ridden very good results with these filters.

I think your theory runs true. You are probably running lean now that you have the choke working properly. K&N usually came out with 2 filter versions when possible. 1 being an OEM replacement and the other with individual pods that really increased air flow and typically requirred you to rejet your bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts