Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can pick up a header for a 85 ZX900 / GPZ900r ?

I have a vance & hines header on their now but its pretty rusted out.
I dont even know if it can be cleaned and re-powder coated.

I searched the web and found a couple places and prices but they dont look like places I would trust with over $500

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I just put two and two together....Yes!

If you want that system by Muzzy, it is really nice. It weighs less than the V&H system too. V&H 18 pounds - Muzzy 13

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be sending your carbs on monday or tuesday, let me know how they work out for you.

You only need the vacuum pieces right? cause when I got the bike they where taken off and they must have been removed for a reason, thats why I put in the auction that they probably need a rebuild.

After removing the end caps on them I seen that they actually look incredibly easy to rebuild, I bought some used ones and if my bike dont perform well I might just rebuild them, I found a guy selling rebuild kits on ebay in mass quantities, let me know if you want a link.

Also any tips for setting this bike up would kick ass.
Do you know what psi I should run the front and rear shocks at?
They where at 0, but I put 10psi in and its holding.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
megahyperion said:
Do you know what psi I should run the front and rear shocks at?
They where at 0, but I put 10psi in and its holding.
STOP - Front forks are 5.7-8.5 psi bleed some air or you may mess up the seals!

Rear 7.1-21psi

Also, do not use the gas station air hose as you can blow out your seals that way too!

I'm glad your project is on the way. How do you get your auctions to look cool with HTML????

Try to send the carbs out on Monday as my bike is down and I need the carbs. I was really trying to get them overnighted cause I wanted to ride this weekend, but hey, the extra money should help you out! I have another set it better condition that I'm bidding on.

Inexpensive and easy to do, is a stage1 upgrade with a dynojet kit. When you have enough money you can buy a nice pipe and get the K&N individual filters and upgrade to the stage 3 dynojet kit. Stage 1 and Stage 3 come in the same kit so you won't have to buy anything else. What you will be doing is changing out the jets only at that point.

I suggest the stage 1 kit because it will give you more low and mid- range performance and only costs about $100.00 - $125.89

You can enjoy riding your bike while you are saving some money up and when you are ready, you can pop in the Stage 3 kit

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The html is easy, it all on ebay's site when you go to list an auction.
Pretty much practice makes perect.

I already found out about the air hose thing, I used my compressor and then tested the psi and my gauge went to max, thats when I was freakin out and letting it all back out again.
I am going to pick up a bicycle hand pump for the shocks.

I will send the carbs on monday if this guy gets here with the money for the thunderbird I just sold, but he may not be able to make it until later in the day when the post office is closed.
I myself am 100% tapped on cash until I get the money from the 2 cars I just sold, I am very sorry.

I tried to search for the dynojet kits, could you link me?

All I can find are the kits for the 94-97 zx900

Also I picked up these air filters because I needed something because the rubber pieces that connect the carbs to the airbox where missing, well the guy I bought the bike from found three of them recently but that still would leave me one short so I picked up these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2481902325&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

I would like to throw in that stage one kit before I put the carbs back in .

Thanks

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Glad you got the air out.

Those air filters will probably cause your bike to run crapy as they will be getting tooo much air and not enough fuel. Which will require you to do the jet kit for Stage 3. They look nice, but have not tried them..... They look like the K&N filters (2814), but using different materials and saving about $160 bucks......

Dynojet 2108

http://www.dynojet.com/

Stage 1 Kits
Intended for motorcycles with a stock engine using the stock airbox, air filter and stock pipe. Stage 1 kits are fully adjustable to allow the use of a well designed aftermarket pipes and stock replacement air filters like K&N. Stage 1 kits are designed to improve throttle response and driveability and in most cases power increases of approximately 5% throughout the entire power range can be achieved.

Stage 3 Kits
Intended for motorcycles with stock or mildly tuned engines using a well designed aftermarket pipe and individual air filters. In most cases power increases of 10-15% can be achieved. However driveability may be compromised particularly with short stroke, high rpm motors. On some modern engine and airbox designs, individual filters and proper jetting offer no performance improvement yet compromise driveability, in such cases stage 3 kits are not available.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I needed something so I just bought them, and I figure they will probably be better then the stock airbox with some more fuel.

SO I should just go straight to the stage 3?
I have a header, yoshi muffler, and those air filters, so its looks like I meet the criteria.

I dont really want to sacrifice low end torque for high end power though, I would like to be able to pull up the bike in 2nd with out really nailing the throttle and cluthin up the bike real hard.
My buddy has to do that cause his piggy back comp isnt programed right and sometimes his rear tire breaks loose and that would scare the **** out of me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yes and I almost forgot I also have a problem with my blinkers.
When you turn them on they take a while to start blinking and the flasher makes some funny noises.

I located the flasher unit but it is not they type I am used to, do you know how to get it out and replace it, also do you know where to find a replacement?

thanks again

·
Registered
48 Posts
megahyperion said:
Oh yes and I almost forgot I also have a problem with my blinkers.
When you turn them on they take a while to start blinking and the flasher makes some funny noises.

I located the flasher unit but it is not they type I am used to, do you know how to get it out and replace it, also do you know where to find a replacement?

thanks again
Your turn signal relay is about to go MIA. Replace it, and you should be in good shape.

I'm assuming you found the flasher relay up under the 'dash' in your fairing upper, right? It *should* just unplug, and the new one should plug right back in it's place. As far as getting a new one goes, check out www.partsfish.com

They can get factory parts at better-than-dealership prices (trust me on this...I'm a kawi mechanic these days...)

Hope this helps..

Spoone

·
Registered
48 Posts
megahyperion said:
Anyone know where I can pick up a header for a 85 ZX900 / GPZ900r ?

I have a vance & hines header on their now but its pretty rusted out.
I dont even know if it can be cleaned and re-powder coated.

I searched the web and found a couple places and prices but they dont look like places I would trust with over $500

Thanks in advance
It should be noted that the V&H headers were never powder-coated, just painted. I had good results with a Rustoleum high-heat, ceramic impregnated coating. So far, 2 years and no re-currence of rust yet. The can, on the other hand, has been ground down a time or two (steep bank angles and all that) :D:D

Cheers, all

Spoone

·
Registered
48 Posts
megahyperion said:
I needed something so I just bought them, and I figure they will probably be better then the stock airbox with some more fuel.

SO I should just go straight to the stage 3?
I have a header, yoshi muffler, and those air filters, so its looks like I meet the criteria.

I dont really want to sacrifice low end torque for high end power though, I would like to be able to pull up the bike in 2nd with out really nailing the throttle and cluthin up the bike real hard.
My buddy has to do that cause his piggy back comp isnt programed right and sometimes his rear tire breaks loose and that would scare the sh*t out of me.
With all the parts you've mentioned, you really don't have much a choice but to go with the stage 3 kit (especially if you're going to install all of it at once)

As far as mid-range goes, you'll actually have more of it, as well as more power on top. Trust me...I've had a stage 3 kit for quite some time now. I recently took a ride on a buddy's stock 900R, and egads, I'm glad I did it to mine! I've got rideable power *everywhere*!! It's far better, lemme tell ya!!

Cheers

Spoone

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ZX Kawboy said:
It should be noted that the V&H headers were never powder-coated, just painted. I had good results with a Rustoleum high-heat, ceramic impregnated coating. So far, 2 years and no re-currence of rust yet. The can, on the other hand, has been ground down a time or two (steep bank angles and all that) :D:D

Cheers, all

Spoone

I ended up using some barBQ grill high temp paint since I have had luck with it in the past.

I also bought the stage 3 kit and its on the way

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ZX Kawboy said:
Your turn signal relay is about to go MIA. Replace it, and you should be in good shape.

I'm assuming you found the flasher relay up under the 'dash' in your fairing upper, right? It *should* just unplug, and the new one should plug right back in it's place. As far as getting a new one goes, check out www.partsfish.com

They can get factory parts at better-than-dealership prices (trust me on this...I'm a kawi mechanic these days...)

Hope this helps..

Spoone
My relay is down on the right side by the back fairing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts