Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm now looking to buy some apes for my VN 800, and I'm trying to find a decent place to get them from. I don't really feel like paying $300 bucks for a pair, so I was hoping to get some help from all you nice people.

Any suggestions for an online shop that has a big selection and reasonable prices?

Thanks in advance,

Henrik

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Check on EBay and find someone here in the states that ships internationally. I bought some Harley/Metric apes for less than $40.00 on there.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Check on EBay and find someone here in the states that ships internationally. I bought some Harley/Metric apes for less than $40.00 on there.
+1...............I bought my Burley bars for 99. I think I ot in just before a price increase. Last I looked they had gone up to 199.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Phat Performance
Metric Thunder
Scootworks
J&P
Baron's
Chaparral
Cruiser Customizing
Meancycles
Bike Bandit

Literally dozens of places.

The bars themselves should be no more than $175, unless you go for Carlini. THOSE are expensive. $175 would be for Baron's Kongs... everything else is in the $75 to $150 range.

But in addition to the bars, you're going to need new throttle cables, front brake line, clutch line, and you'll have to extend the stock wiring (run it internally, I did a writeup posted elsewhere on the forum on how to do it).
Plan for new grips, and you might want to change the mirrors.
Total cost for mine was $700, but that was with new mirrors and grips, and the 1600 has dual front calipers that bumps the price by about $60 on the brake line.
Minimum budget for the project, doing the electrical yourself, is around $300 to $450 depending on the cost of the bars.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, today I decided to go with a Dutch brand called Zodiac. They're 14" bars with only 7" pullback which hopefully is exactly what I've been looking for. Most other apes seemed to have between 10-12,5" pullback which I really didn't like at all. I actually decided to order the bars from a brick and mortar store here in Stockholm, Sweden. When I order stuff on the internet I sometimes end up paying more in shipping and customs charges than for the actual item... I bought a fender about a week ago which was about $50 and shipping was $65 :). That plus we pay twice as much for gas as you Americans... Bummer.

Of course I'm aware that I'll need new cables and break line (Phat performance) and in terms of wiring, I've already bookmark your thread a couple of weeks ago, Richlockyer :). Totally great post by the way, thanks for helping me out with this! As soon as all the parts are delivered, I'll try to post some pics of the bike.

//H

1 - 8 of 8 Posts