Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to attach a trickle charger to my V2K recently and darned if I can find a battery to attach it to.

Even after going to all the trouble of removing the rider's seat, I'm still faced with having to remove a plastic cover under that seat. After taking off three bolts the cover still wouldn't come off and it's a major project to continue to try to remove it. I gave up.

Don't tell me it's necessary to go to all that to clip on a trickle charger! WHere's the battery? How do you get at it? Are there any exposed leads that you can attach a charger to without having to disassemble half the engine?

·
Registered
91 Posts
One more screw and you would have had it off :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
You may be missing the screw that holds the left side cover and the plastic battery cover. I think you are almost there.

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
My wifes 800 is a PIA because the seat is bolted so I did the following. Once you get to the battery. I bought a in-line fuse and a two lead trailer connector from NAPA then connected them to the battery (make sure the exposed terminal end of the connector is negitive in case of accidental frame contact) , I snaked them safely (no pinching) to the side of the seat. When not in use they tuck neatly out of the way under the seat. Come winter time Just hook up the T/C to the new connection.

There is a weather tight cap attached to the plug end that is hiding in the picture

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
A lot of trickle chargers come with battery extension cables which you can bolt directly to the battery. Then when you need to charge the battery you plug the trickle charger directly into the extension cable without removing the seat every time. That's what I did with mine and I routed the cable over the right side of the bike and tuck it in between the frame and side cover when not in use.

·
Registered
324 Posts
On my meanstreak I used a battery extension lead which came with the charger and fed the lead into the side panel on the left where the lock is. All I have to do is unlock the door and plug it in, Do not even have to take the seat off !! Not sure if it is the same for the V2K's though.

·
Registered
966 Posts
There is a total of five screws, three along the back and one up front under the tank almost, and one on the left side. be careful removing, the cover because you could drop a screw, down below.

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
What gage wire would you need to create leads? What amp fuse would have to be put in line?

I used a prefab connector from NAPA auto parts; the wire is 12 GA stranded. I used a 3 amp fuse; well under the rating for the tender I bought.Three amps is nothing in event of a short and will blow in a heartbeat to protect the factory harnesses. With the the $7.00 tender and the fuse and light plug harness I have less than 20 bucks into the whole thing. Saving up for new mustang seat, Kury grips, hi-way bars and pegs.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I also put accessory leads direct from the battery on mine. Just take the side cover off and the leads are long enough to get a jump start if needed. Also very handy for battery tenders and tire repair compressors etc.. I did not install a fuse in the leads however.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts