Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
Based on experiences I've had, I'd say the plug is the most common for leaks. The gaskets usually just show signs of seepage making it look darkened around the gasket area but not much if any oil really getting past the gasket in most cases.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Based on experiences I've had, I'd say the plug is the most common for leaks. The gaskets usually just show signs of seepage making it look darkened around the gasket area but not much if any oil really getting past the gasket in most cases.
I too have an oil leak which seems to be the plugs. I actually saw oil seeping from the top screw which holds the plug in. I have just ordered from Z1 the replacement seals but should the cam plugs have any sealant on them? I read someone say teflon tape?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
Yes, but the main thing I've found with plugs is cleaning the sadel area where they sit. And I don't mean just wipe it with a rag so it looks clean. You have to remove every bit of it for the sealer to stick. After I clean mine I apply a bead of RTV gasket maker and let that sit up several minutes before inserting the plug. I only lightly snug the bolts on the valve cover and let it sit over night then tighten the rest of the way the next day.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yes, but the main thing I've found with plugs is cleaning the sadel area where they sit. And I don't mean just wipe it with a rag so it looks clean. You have to remove every bit of it for the sealer to stick. After I clean mine I apply a bead of RTV gasket maker and let that sit up several minutes before inserting the plug. I only lightly snug the bolts on the valve cover and let it sit over night then tighten the rest of the way the next day.
OK, that makes sense, so then do you not use any sealant on the valve cover gasket, including then top of the cam plugs? I've heard some people use sealant on the gasket or just one side or not at all. Thanks for your help!

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
If the gasket won't lay in place naturally so that all the hole line up, I will apply a little of the same RTV gasket maker in a few key areas just to stick and hold it in place while I install the cover. Just remember that the more sealer or w/e you use when you install, the more scraping and cleaning you'll have to do the next time you adjust your valves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.