Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seat or shield?

A lot of cruiser buddies of mine identified lack of a shield AND the stock seat as causing my prior woes with the 900. I was planning on tackling the shield issue first (17" Memphis Slim w/quick release) this Tues since it was easier on the wallet. However, I just found out my funds are also enough for the Corbin (YG) seat. I cannot get both; whatever is left by the wayside will be addressed in a couple months.

Which one should take priority. Should I get the wind off my chest, or take care of the backside first.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
Id say seat since its more expensive and you have the funds. a FF helmet should hold you over until the shield happens

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
I vote for the seat.
Having a screen will only make it easier to concentrate on how numb yer rear is...

Mrs. SP will like it better too.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Every once in a while I'll remove my shield only to realize how much more comfortable the ride is WITH it. I almost always end up putting it back on after a ride without it. I bought a gel seat pad for for $100.00 with a cloth fur-like cover that makes the stock seat much more comfortable (and the cloth helps reduce butt crack sweat!). So, I would buy a shield first.

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I just said shield because I'm on a sportbike, so I'm used to hating my seat :p
LOL. I know where you're coming from. If not for the positioning of the footpegs, there'd be a golden market for aftermarket 650R seats too. :biggrin:

Thanks for input, folks. I'm aiming specifically at the Corbin YG because it's proven. Charles' Shadow has one installed, and not once have I had an issue, even on the 70 mi test run I took.

Still in the air as of now. I know I want to address both items, but the stock seat was bearable (at sixty minute intervals). I really recall that the other pains seemed to come along when I had my 900 cranked up at high speeds for long periods.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
LOL. I know where you're coming from. If not for the positioning of the footpegs, there'd be a golden market for aftermarket 650R seats too. :biggrin:

Thanks for input, folks. I'm aiming specifically at the Corbin YG because it's proven. Charles' Shadow has one installed, and not once have I had an issue, even on the 70 mi test run I took.
Heh, you should sit on my 650 now! Woodcraft pegs and a race tail... AKA mousepad seat!

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Albuquerque ain't that far away, friend. Once I get Shae all properly equipped, I just might drop on by to take you up on that. 8)

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would say shield first. It protects you from the wind, debris, bugs, weather etc. Although the seat is uncomfortable, you can always stop, rest your legs and backside and then continue on without the wind etc being an issue.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Considering you got the bike so your wife can ride with you, the YG seat would have to have the Sissy Bar and back rest additional. You would be her wind block, but being you would be the one on it most of the time, and you have a FF helmet, the seat is a must to replace, but more expensive and take longer to get the windshield, but if you got the windshield which is cheaper, you could get the seat sooner, but a cruiser looks better with a windshield, but so what if ya can't sit on it comfortably........ask your wife! Hope this helped.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
I'd have to say shield, cause it protects against rain and insects that really sting when your driving 65 mph.

·
Registered
375 Posts
go for the seat, once you have that looked after you will not worry about the shield.

Also the seat will make the bike look better, and I also agree that bike look mich better without the windscreen.

your butt will thank you!!!!

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
They both affect riding comfort. I'd say you need to consider which of the two comfort areas you feel could use more immediate improvement and decide that way. We are all very different in the details of our rides.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts