Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
PColaFl V2K LT
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a lot of hours on a KZ900 when I was in my 20s. When I started thinking about a VN900 for my wife's next bike, it got me wondering about how they would compare on power. I know they are very different bikes from very different times but still, I was very impressed with the power that KZ900 had. I remember it had 4 into two exhaust with both pipes on the right. It also had a seat with a raised pilon and sorta mini-apes. Man that thing would fly. At leaste thats the way I remember it from 20 something years ago. Anyone know how the 900 V-twin compares as far as speed?

·
What can I spend my $$ on
619 Posts
Comparing the KZ to the VN would be like night and day. The VN is a dog compared to the KZ, my swisscheese memory thinks the old 9 did the 1/4 in the high 12's while the VN is around 15 sec.

·
enjoying the ride
448 Posts
no comparison. a KZ900 has a lot more power than a VN900. low rpm redline cruiser vtwins are no match for a high revving inline 4. another problem for the cruiser is they are much heavier than a sport or standard 4 cylinder bike. Those KZ900's would run in the low to mid 12's in the quarter mile and had a top speed over 120 mph. Very few(if any) cruisers of any size can match those numbers.

·
PColaFl V2K LT
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehehe, man that's just the way I remember it. Wish I had that thing to freshen my memory.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Here's the only way the VN might beat the KZ: This is how my V2K can beat my son's ZX10!!! Put both bikes in TOP GEAR at about 30 mph and do a roll-on race. I can pull on him until his rpms are higher and then its VERY sad for the V2K!

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
Now compare the KZ- to the ZL-?

... The Elimanator would toast it!

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
KZ650 Vrs. VN900

Before I bought my 900 I had a 1978 KZ650, actually had both in the garage for a while. They are 2 totally different bikes, each with its pros and cons. The pros for the KZ were speed, handling, and breaking. The KZ was definitely faster from 0 to 60, 80, and probably further... I can only imagine what the KZ900 could do:shock: . I would have kept it but there was too much maintenance involved.

·
2005 V2K
1,509 Posts
You are kidding, right? I had a Z900 and a Z1000LTD. Also, just traded the Vulcan 9. Got the 900 when the 750 Honda's were king of the hill. The 1000 had a Kerker header, smooth bore carbs, and different gears. Made my knees knock! LOL Kinda' what that 2K's doin' to me now! The 9 would be an excellent choice for the wife.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Corvette vs Model T..... Not a good comparison. 900 willbe a good choice for her.

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
Z1 was a rocket

I can speak for the Z1 which I rode everywhere and cross country too. Took it to the drags. Belly on the tank and let the clutch go. you had to be lined up staight because the front wheel was about six inches of the track through first gear and sometimes half of second. timed out at 11.5. I never found out the top speed on that bike. It wasn't the most stable at high speed. I got to about 125 and thought that was enough for me. Alway wished I had keeped that bike. I dug up an old photo for those that want to look back to 1974.

By the way, I have a "candy fire red" '08 Mean Streak on order. Took one look at it and that was it. Should have it mid December.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts