·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mostly debating on Mesh or Nylon.
Ride Icon
Ride Icon

Which one would keep me warmer/cooler?
Keep in mind that I live in Oklahoma so it's generally very hot... but we still have freezing cold winds for about a quarter of the year.

Which one offers more protection? I heard something about Mesh burning into your skin in the event of an accident... any truth in that? I'm just trying to figure out the key differences between mesh and nylon since they're the same price. Thanks a ton in advance guys!

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'd take the nylon over the mesh same price, can't believe mesh will give you the same 'road rash' protection. Good three season riding jacket.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Mesh does a fair job of holding the plastic armor in place while riding.
Once it hits the road, it's going to shred and there's nothing left to hold the armor.

Ultimately, if you're set on textile, you'll probably want a set of leathers for colder temps... but until you can swing it, go with the solid nylon and layer wool under it when it's cold.

But honestly, for protection, you can't beat leather... quality leather will shred in about 80feet... textile (even Kevlar) is toast in less than 20ft.
The tradeoff is that most textile gear does contain armor to protect your elbows and shoulders... that's worth some points, and will provide good protection if it remains in place.

Don't go cheap... but don't overpay for a name brand that's no better than a higher quality off-brand.

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
I just bought this leather with armor jacket from newenough for $75. I couldn't be happier.:D

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
I'm going to fight with you, Rich.

Mesh holds up under major skids on the pavement. Mine didn't shred, and Darrell has been through a long slide on his. And if it wasn't for the armor in the mesh, I'm sure my collarbone would have been broken, not just displaced, not to mention the major road rash involved.

A friend of mine that is a track junkie went down in his kangaroo leather, and it just disintegrated, surprisingly enough.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
A friend of mine that is a track junkie went down in his kangaroo leather, and it just disintegrated, surprisingly enough.
Roo's for bungie jumping, not for sliding!

I do agree that armor does a great job of protecting the "pointy parts", but still can't see quality leather shredding faster than textile.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So are we in agreement that Nylon will protect better than mesh? I'm still a bit concerned over the part where it could burn into your skin in the event of a skid lol. Mesh seems like it'll be a lot cooler to wear than nylon... but nylon should still be wearable in the hot summer right?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Most quality gear will have ventilation panels or zippers.
Even my heavy leather jacket has four 6" zippers, two in front and two behind my armpits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it's because I'm a little leery of wearing black while riding a motorcycle. I keep hearing how riders should avoid dark clothing/helmet since it makes it that much harder to see them at night time. I'm seriously contemplating leather however I'm still a bit confused on what would protect me better. Nylon or Mesh? lol

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Leather doesn't have to be black, but honestly, at night, the only thing that is going to show up well is retroreflective material. It will show very brightly many yards before the headlights directly illuminate you.

You can buy retroreflective patches and stickers from a place like Reflective Patches, retroreflective, embroidered and vinyl and sew them on your gear, stick them to your helmet, etc... Another cool product is the "Helmet Halo", which is a band that fits around the bottom of a FF lid. Here's some photos: HALO reflective helmet bands

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright RickyLockyer... you have me pretty much convinced on leather... but how thick should the leather be? I don't want it too thick where I bake in the sun lol. I'm looking at this jacket now...

Ride Icon

Is 1.2-1.4mm too thin? The titanium plates seem very reassuring to me, and I do love the design. I just can't seem to find any crash reports on it. Again, I'm new to motorcycling, but it seems like Icon is one of the bigger names. Thus... I'm hoping it's one of the better ones in terms of protection lol.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Icon's hold up well. The thicker the better, but it usually comes at a price! Rich will be able to answer the thickness question exactly, that's what he does best.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
1.4-1.6 is a good heavy grade... that's what my Fox Creek Classic-II jacket is, it's probably twice the weight of a typical $100 "mall special biker" jacket.

Tina... ask Ervins what he was wearing when he decided to jump off of his bike at 100+ on the track and walked away :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts