Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting one of these three helmets really soon but don't know which is the best helmet/brand. I would appreciate any tips or experiences you had with the brand. If you know any other price point helmets under $200 please recommend them to me.

The three helmets are:
-Scorpion EXO-400
-HJC CS 16
-Bell Vortex

The helmet I like the most is the scorpion due to the reviews I watched and the look. It seems like a helmet with great airflow, and the anti fog really appeals to me. It is also D.O.T approved and SNELL

The HJC is a close second due to its styling and features

The Bell Vortex I have no idea why its good but it seems to be a very popoular helmet so I wanted to know why it was so popular.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Welcome to the forum but I wouldn't buy any of them unless you can try them on. They all fit different and you may be a large in one brand and a medium in another.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have two HJCs and two Joe Rocket (made by HJC) for me and my family. They are comfortable up to about two hours then can chafe a bit on the forehead.
I agree that you should try them on before you buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
grown old, not grown up
141 Posts
I'm with Pat. Find a dealer in your area and try them on. Walk around the store with it on for a good 20 minutes or so, so you get a feeling of what wearing it on a ride will be like. If it starts to hurt after 5-10 minutes, imagine how you'll feel after a 1/2 day ride?

·
Registered
474 Posts
KawiGordon

See by post about gear I am selling and refer to Craigslist DC for pictures and details. My (large) HJC IS-MX BT was worn once or twice and is a like-new modular in Silver. Try one on at a dealer and them save $$$ by buying mine. Also look at the other gear for similar value/savings.

oldkawboy

·
Registered
85 Posts
I own an HJC 16 I got it with my bike. But it's too small so it's for my sister inlaw when she rides with me. It's a Nice helmet and of those 3 the best I would say. I also had a HJC Symax. Pretty good helmet. But Keep and open mind and an open wallet-The HJC liner grew in size after a few years and it got too large and I had to get a new one. I went to Cycle Gear and tried on a Shoei and the difference was incredible. Yes, way more than I wanted to spend but it's so much more comfortable than the HJC. I at first got a Shoei Qwest and it was noisy but fit well. Next the Multitec. I would have never considered a helmet that expensive. The Cycle Gear shop here in Florida lets you try for a week and will take it back. That's the best way to get a new lid. Not Mail order or internet. You got to ride it for a while. Last years models are always cheaper than the latest ones. Down here in Florida I really don't see many other riders in helmets. I always wear a full face as I'm ugly enough as it is now. I have to say the Shoei was worth the extra bucks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Try on a Shoei, especially if you go for longer rides. You won't regret it, and it's I love my RF1000. It's a now obsolete design, I think the new one is the RF1100 or something. And, well, after all the stories (proven true) on exploding tires, poisoned pet food and treats, etc. I'd rather not buy a chinese made product.

Regardless, I'd look for SNELL certified as well (a cereal bowl can get DOT approval, so it doesn't say much about safety)... Snell Foundation - home

I just think it's cheap insurance if something bad happens. ATGATT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Out of the three you listed, the Scorpion will have the highest quality for the money. All three have pretty much the same intermediate oval fit. The ones that I have tried in the Scorpion and HJC have run a tad small. I wear an XL in most helmets, but needed a XXL in both the Scorpion and HJC.

I agree with the fellow above though about the Shoei. It's is so far ahead of all three of your choices, you should try it before purchasing any of them. You can get some pretty good deals online on Shoei RF-1100 right now. Try one on in the shop and then buy one on clearance online. It won't be that much more than the Scorpion if you find one on sale.

I am getting one of these three helmets really soon but don't know which is the best helmet/brand. I would appreciate any tips or experiences you had with the brand. If you know any other price point helmets under $200 please recommend them to me.

The three helmets are:
-Scorpion EXO-400
-HJC CS 16
-Bell Vortex

The helmet I like the most is the scorpion due to the reviews I watched and the look. It seems like a helmet with great airflow, and the anti fog really appeals to me. It is also D.O.T approved and SNELL

The HJC is a close second due to its styling and features

The Bell Vortex I have no idea why its good but it seems to be a very popoular helmet so I wanted to know why it was so popular.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a Shoei helmet for almost 5 years. In the last year the mesh on the inside actually fell apart forcing me to replace the helmet. I could have replaced the inner lining but Shoei suggests a new lid every 5 years anyway. So I bought a Scorpion EXO 400 helmet on a closeout for 60 bucks. I was shocked because I liked it way better than the Shoei. It fit a little more snug, the padding on the inside was of a much nicer quality and like the Shoei it has that SNELL rating. The helmet has great air flow. It does feel heavier than the Shoei but I havent noticed that when its on my head. So far this will be my 2nd season with the helmet and Im very happy I found something on clearance instead of paying 300 dollars for a new Shoei helmet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts