Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
" Metric Mafia"
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally ordered my V&H Big Shots. Next will be the Caddman mod on both left & right side. I have the USB Power Commander installed and was wondering if anyone out there has this same set-up and can tell me which PC III map works best on their 1600 classic ('06).

I checked the power commander website and they have a map for Vance & Hines Bigshots with baffles and Thunder Manufacturing air box. I wonder if that might work. I plan on not installing baffles on my pipes, will that make a difference in the map I use?

Your help would be appreciated.

Power Commander Downloads and Products Purchases

·
Thanks to all Veterans!!!
16,933 Posts
Custom maps are always best, since you have spent the money on a PCIII, spend a little more to get the most out of it. Oh, and the baffles in/out does make a difference.

·
Life Saver
496 Posts
I have the same pipes and PC III, but i use the Thunder air kit that leaves the stock cover on both sides.....just opens up the right side for more air. Works good for me. I used the MAP from The Thunder site. It runs fine, just not the Gas Mileage i had hoped for (30-35 MPG) on average. I do mostly highway with a few lights and not hard on the throttle. Listen to the pipes first with the baffles, i dont think i could stand it w/o baffles...but thats just me.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
I used the map that is for Roadhouse 2-1 and Thunder air kit with my Roadhouse Classics 2-1 and Caddman.......and I've gotten as high as 47Mpg on the way to Red Lodge gathering in Montana last July......oh did I mention it runs like a scolded ape too. :lol:

I use the std baffels the Roadhouse's came with.....good or not...I dunno...but I like them.

·
Black, Chrome, & Leather
108 Posts
I have a 1600 Classic, Bigshots, and K&N Caddmann on both sides. I've been using the "Vance & Hines Bigshots with baffles and Thunder Manufacturing air box" map since I installed the PCIII, and it runs pretty good like that. I still get just a bit of decel popping, but don't know how to "tune it out" using the PCIII. Maybe I'll have it dyno'd at some point, but don't have plans to do that right now. I use 89 octane with no knocking or pinging and I get about 25 - 40 mpg around town.
I use the baffles in my Bigshots, and they sound great. I hear that removing them makes a loud, raspy, metallic exhaust note that is annoying. I like loud, but not at the expense of quality. With the baffles in, it's very loud (loud enough that I worry about it bugging the neighbors when it's just idling in the driveway) and it has a deep roar when I gun the engine.

·
" Metric Mafia"
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 1600 Classic, Bigshots, and K&N Caddmann on both sides. I've been using the "Vance & Hines Bigshots with baffles and Thunder Manufacturing air box" map since I installed the PCIII, and it runs pretty good like that. I still get just a bit of decel popping, but don't know how to "tune it out" using the PCIII. Maybe I'll have it dyno'd at some point, but don't have plans to do that right now. I use 89 octane with no knocking or pinging and I get about 25 - 40 mpg around town.
I use the baffles in my Bigshots, and they sound great. I hear that removing them makes a loud, raspy, metallic exhaust note that is annoying. I like loud, but not at the expense of quality. With the baffles in, it's very loud (loud enough that I worry about it bugging the neighbors when it's just idling in the driveway) and it has a deep roar when I gun the engine.
I was thinking of starting with the same map you noted above "Vance & Hines Bigshots with baffles and Thunder Manufacturing air box" that can be downloaded from the Power Commander website. On another note others have said that the map posted on the Thunder Mfg website for the 1600 classic runs better.

My problem with both these maps are that both are for "V&H with baffles" and according to one of the above post that does make a difference. I plan not to install baffles (for now). I eventually will have the bike Dyno tuned but wanted something I can download myself in the mean time.

It will cost me approx. $200 to have it Dyno tuned...which will probably have to wait till February.

·
" Metric Mafia"
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used the map that is for Roadhouse 2-1 and Thunder air kit with my Roadhouse Classics 2-1 and Caddman.......and I've gotten as high as 47Mpg on the way to Red Lodge gathering in Montana last July......oh did I mention it runs like a scolded ape too. :lol:

I use the std baffels the Roadhouse's came with.....good or not...I dunno...but I like them.
that's some good mileage per gallon.8)

·
" Metric Mafia"
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same pipes and PC III, but i use the Thunder air kit that leaves the stock cover on both sides.....just opens up the right side for more air. Works good for me. I used the MAP from The Thunder site. It runs fine, just not the Gas Mileage i had hoped for (30-35 MPG) on average. I do mostly highway with a few lights and not hard on the throttle. Listen to the pipes first with the baffles, i dont think i could stand it w/o baffles...but thats just me.

Brent, have you tired the "Vance & Hines Bigshots with baffles and Thunder Manufacturing air box" map that can be downloaded from the Power Commander website? If so how would you compare the two?

·
" Metric Mafia"
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Custom maps are always best, since you have spent the money on a PCIII, spend a little more to get the most out of it. Oh, and the baffles in/out does make a difference.
I was afraid of that. Depending on how loud the pipes are I might buy the baffles, but right now I'm looking forward to the sound.

·
Ridden like a Ford!
4,063 Posts
your best bet will be to have the bike dyno tuned. a custom map will give you the best performance.
as far as the pipes, i have straight pipes and love the sound. if you dont get on it too hard, its not that loud. i cant hear them when im at cruising speeds on the highway

·
Black, Chrome, & Leather
108 Posts
I was afraid of that. Depending on how loud the pipes are I might buy the baffles, but right now I'm looking forward to the sound.
Are we on the same page here? The pipes come with baffles already installed. You might be thinking of the V&H "quiet" baffles. The baffles that come with the Bigshots are nothing more than pieces of pipe with raised perforations (sort of like a cheese grater) all over the inside of it. they slip into the pipes and are attached with a hex screw. The V&H quiet baffles, on the other hand, have to be purchased separately and are used to bring the volume down considerably without ruining the tone. The baffles that come with the pipe are the ones everyone is saying not to remove. When you remove the baffles, not only do you lose that good back pressure (screwing up your horsepower and torque curves), they supposedly sound REAL LOUD and not in a good way.

·
" Metric Mafia"
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are we on the same page here? The pipes come with baffles already installed. You might be thinking of the V&H "quiet" baffles. The baffles that come with the Bigshots are nothing more than pieces of pipe with raised perforations (sort of like a cheese grater) all over the inside of it. they slip into the pipes and are attached with a hex screw. The V&H quiet baffles, on the other hand, have to be purchased separately and are used to bring the volume down considerably without ruining the tone. The baffles that come with the pipe are the ones everyone is saying not to remove. When you remove the baffles, not only do you lose that good back pressure (screwing up your horsepower and torque curves), they supposedly sound REAL LOUD and not in a good way.
Givtu: Thanks for the clarification. I should receive the pipes on Friday according to UPS tracking information. I more question, do the pipes come with new "crush gaskets" or do I need to purchase those separately?

·
Black, Chrome, & Leather
108 Posts
Givtu: Thanks for the clarification. I should receive the pipes on Friday according to UPS tracking information. I more question, do the pipes come with new "crush gaskets" or do I need to purchase those separately?
Yes, you have to purchase them from the dealer. They are about five bucks apiece. The pipes don't come with them, oddly enough. Don't reuse the old gaskets either because it will almost certainly lead to an exhaust leak.

·
" Metric Mafia"
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, you have to purchase them from the dealer. They are about five bucks apiece. The pipes don't come with them, oddly enough. Don't reuse the old gaskets either because it will almost certainly lead to an exhaust leak.

Thanks :D I'll go pick them up today in preparation for Friday delivery.:biggrin:

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
HD Crush gaskets (6.95) works wonderful if any metric dealers don't have them in stock.......just don't tell them what's for :mrgreen:......I go to the local HD shop.....tell them.........."yeeepp, Softwail with Vanes & Hines.........yup" Just to avoid any stoooopid comments.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts