Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Everyone
this will be my second attempt at a posting, so I'll see if it works this time-

After several decades of not riding, I'm thinking about getting back in the game and the Vulcan V twins seem to be the one most attractive to me, but can't decide which one I should buy. I will probably end up going for a used one. I am most attacted to the mean streak, but the price difference between it and the 1500 classic tempts me to go in that direction. I've even considered the Nomad, but I just can't see why it costs so much more than the Classic 1500. Isn't it just a Classic 1500 with windshield, bags and fuel injection?

A friend is trying to convice me that I should be looking at an 800 classic. His wife rides one and he says he finds it a satisfying ride even though he regularly rides a Harley Road King. Unfortunately, he lives a long way away, so I can't test it for myself--I can't ask a dealer for a test ride since my MC license expired long ago. I'm just skeptical about its cruisabilityat highway speeds (65-70mph). I'm sure it would be fine to cruise up and down the strip at 35mph, but that's not the style of riding I'm into. Interstates aren't my thing either-- My idea of great ride is about 100 miles through scentic country on a moderately curvy two lane road.

So which Vulcan should I shop for? Any info you can supply will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

all of the above are great bikes!

my advise would be - sit on all of them,ride if you can,see what feels right
don't worry about the 800 at 70mph - it will run all day at those speeds
with little effort - the 1500 is heavier hence more stable but not as nimble
price difference is substancial - do what i did buy both :wink: :lol:

welcome and ride safe!

·
Registered
36 Posts
:D

Good monring 'Zero'....

Regardless of which bike you choose there are two things you must do! One, join the AMA !! Two, take a refresher Rider Safety Course before doing any serious touring. Decades of lost time, also mean lost reaction skills. It could save your life and someone elses as well.

Harley offers an excellent course, MSF has courses in all states, and your own State Motor Vehicle dept. should offer many throughout the year.. and dont be shy, start at the beginner level. You'll be suprised at what you've forgotten during the intervening decades, or even at what you never knew !

Glad your getting back into riding, even gladder that you're focussing on the Kawa Vulcan, but for your own sake, do it safely.

best regards......

Ernie in NH

·
Registered
244 Posts
800 will do... depending

Zero,

I've got an 800B. It is stock as far as the powertrain goes. I find that cruising up to 65 is fine as mentioned above. It's pretty wound out if you go faster or have a passenger though, keeping up but a bit hot for long distance comfort. It's my first bike and overall I'm very happy with it. Pipes, jet kit, and air cleaner and I suspect these issues to resolve. Can't do much about the stability/weight issue though. Happy hunting!

Mark

·
Registered
837 Posts
FIRST OF ALL...WELCOME TO THE FORUM..nowtheres nothing wrong with the 800 or the 1500...they are both so closely made accept the motors...if your gonna ride 2 up..better get the 1500...if you gonna cruise solo most of the time..the 800 is a hell of a bike...you will be very happy with the choice you make..thats for sure...RIGHT GUYS...AND GIRLS :oops: 8) :wink:

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
pockets swap out the front sprocket to an 18 tooth and it will seem like you have a 6th gear. When you hit the rev limiter in 2nd gear you will be doing about 80, it cruises down the interstate with lower revs. swap out the front springs and go to 15 wt. oil and you`ll be dragging the pegs in the curves because it will handle alot better and be more responsive. you can also change out the rear sprocket and lower the rev`s on the highway even more, with out lossing to much on the low end. I cruise down the highway at 90mph all the time, it`s great.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

18 tooth does make a big difference 8)

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
A point to keep in mind is that from what I understand, the 1500 is going away in '05. with that the 1500 is already priced low at MSRP of 8999 but I bet a suave negotiator could get a GREAT deal if they were to work it right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts