Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone hearing a whistle from their gas tank filler cap after riding a bit? Seems there is a lot of pressure trying to escape! Dealership said, "they all do that". I ain't buyin that one!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a new Mean Streak and it does the same thing. I have read of other Meanies doing the same thing. It is kind of embarrasing but do not know what to do.

Good Riding

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

he's right - alot of them whistle

yesterday i found my tank vent works cause i topped my tank before a ride and got it
a little full - when i kickstanded the bike it sat in the sun for about 30 min and gas began to drip from the vent tube underneath - as soon as i rode it stopped-but mine whistles sometimes too :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2000 Vulcan 750 does the exact same whistling noise. Sometimes it does it without even being ridden. If it sits in the cool garage and then I move it outside in the heat, it apparently builds enough pressure in the tank to make the whistling noise.

I think the dealer's assessment was correct on this one.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

here is something interesting on this topic:

I had a problem last summer with my '04 800A with the gas cap vents not venting properly. The bike would act like it was out of gas but I knew for a fact it wasn't. If I opened the gas cap I could hear a little air being sucked in if it was quiet enough around me. I tried all kinds of things like not filling the tank anywhere near full, blowing out the vent lines but nothing worked. I ended up routing the two rubber vent lines you can see under the right side of the bike into the right side storage compartment. You can follow them right up to the gas tank. There's even a hole in the back of the compartment in the perfect place. The theory is air going across the ends of the hoses is causing problems with the check valves in the gas cap and putting them in the compartment prevents that. Just for good measure I disassembled the gas cap, removed the little brass piston and poked a small hole in the plastic diaphragm thing to make **** sure there's no way for the vent to act up again. It also stopped that stupid whistling the vent did on hot days. The only down side is with the hoses in the side compartment, if you overfill the tank, gas runs into it. Runs right out but don't keep stock certificates or your bike registration in there. If you decide to go after the gas cap don't forget to put a towel across the tank opening. You don't want to drop anything in there.

this was from a guy who had problem with the bike just shutting off for no apparent reason,then a few minutes later start right up and run fine :idea:

·
Registered
487 Posts
that's a very interesting piece of info. thanks bikeaholic.

I still haven't tried the gadget fix as earlier posted do to work work work
and what little time I get off work I don't want to work on the bike I just want to ride ride ride

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine whisltes too sometimes embarassing, but about the bike shutting down acting like it is out of fuel this did happen to me 147 miles from home on the back of my vulcan 800 classic middle of night on a 4 lane interstate buaaaaaa! I thought WTHeck coasted over to a stop trying to figure WTHeck happened! finally got it running pulled into a hotel parking lot went over the bike could not find anything wrong figuring this was happening so 3 times of this later about 2 am in the morning FIANLLY HOME!!!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I hear air releasing (not whistling) and when I fill it up I get gas running out of the cap and down the tank, Is that normal? I don't fill it up to the top, usually just a bit over the screen in the neck of the tank.. It never did this before just the last two times I filled it.. Any ideas, do I need to replace the cap??

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I am more interested in the gas coming out of the gas cap and running down my tank after I fill up....??? The temps outside were 95-100.
yeah I just got a 06 1600 on 4/10 and from day one it leaked from around the cap and I have to watch how I fill it up. I fill it on the kick stand and fill up til the gas level is about an inch under the filler neck inside the tank. that seems to be the safe zone. any more and it leaks.
I finally found a dealer that would work on it. they checked the vents hoses to make sure they were not kinked up. that was ok, so they ordered me a new cap and that should be in friday so I'll get up to them on monday or so.
I hope this fixes the leaks...

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Anyone hearing a whistle from their gas tank filler cap after riding a bit? Seems there is a lot of pressure trying to escape! Dealership said, "they all do that". I ain't buyin that one!
maybe not "all" of 'em, but a large percentage, I've gotten used to the whistling mine does after riding, and it's always worse if the bike sits in the sun for a bit too...

·
Registered
180 Posts
And here I thought it was just a characteristic of the new gas formula that some how costs my $3.40 a gal. LOL. Actually I just noticed it this weekend when I went out around the block without my helmet. I don't hear it as bad with my helmet on. Thanks for the post. I'll have to try Gadget's solution.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts