Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been off the forum for a bit - sorry about that and thanks to all who responded to my Q's on the Vulcan 1600 recalls.

I just read a review in Motorcycle Crusier on the 2004 Vulcan 1600 Classic and they were really hard on the "sticky clutch" when you first start up. They suggested that you replace the clutch plates!! Seemed like a bit much for a minimal problem!!

Anyway, if you just pull the clutch in and let it out several times before you put it in gear right after a cold start (like 3 times) - it doesn't "clunk" even a little. Before I learned that little trick - it did clunk - but the bike never jumped and never killed.

I can't say enough about this site for Vulcan owners:
http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm

That's where I first read the tip on the clutch and my next project is fixing the "whistling gas cap", which is also covered on the Gadget site!! I'll let the group know how that goes - the whistling does drive me crazy!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

ahhhh yes, the master gadget has taught me many things :lol:
that guy is quite inventive with his work-and really knows how to
unleash these bikes.i thought kawi had introduced a new clutch face
material that was actually a type of PAPER :shock: but i can't remember if was on the 1600-i'll have to check-seems this was the culprit being blamed
on the cold grabby clutch with a small friction zone-but the couple of 16's
i test rode just recently didn't grab at all :?:

oh by the way freedom,have you changed your stock seat?
8)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That clutch "stickiness" is only when cold - the first time you go to put it in gear. If you don't pull the lever in a few times, it will "clunk" a bit. After that the clutch is fine. And the road test that I saw in Motorcycle Cruiser was on an '04, so it doesn't look like Kawa changed the clutch.

And I can't wait to try the gas cap fix that Gadget has posted. I'll let the group know how that goes.

And yes, I put the Mustang seat on a few weeks ago and .... Heaven!! I can slide back a bit and then my back is supported by the back of the seat and the front of the passenger seat - it's great! I would highly recommend it. I also went with the studded seat and then I put studded bags on - see post today May 10 - and I really like the look.

This forum is so great - what a super bunch of guys - I guess I shouldn't be surprised - we all have Kawasaki cruisers!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i used the studded solo on my 800 and love it - so you used the solo with the factory
rear seat? and i saw you got the f/s pass.backrest right?

i'm thinking the stang solo with backrest but it won't work with the factory rear section :cry:
so i may go with touring mustang with driver backrest-still haven't decided

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey, Freedom, do you know of any Vulcan riding groups in the Madison area? I'm about 3.5 hours North of you, near Wausau.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts