Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I new here new owner 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom. Well yseterday was the first day of ownership and riding. A couple of things I noticed that I have ???s on
1. The fuel guage does not go all the way to full?
2. Is the bike supposed to sound like a rocket ship, really makes a loud, very distinct whistling sound. Acceleration or decel?
Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi, I ride a 06 900 classic Lt and mine seems to whistle around 55 to 60 mph, I think its the valves, I'm not worried about it though, these bikes are made to be noisy

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im going to the dealer today to get my odo fixed does not work so I will ask them also.
Thank you for the reply! Im not worried about it just curious!

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
My classic doesn't make any whistling sound. It does have some belt whine at certain speeds (but not at all speeds). My wife says any whistling I hear in the wind is just the holes in my head. ;)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya say your wife thins ya have a few more hoels ten ya need!
Im not married but my kids thin the same! Just in the last few months I sold my Honda Spitit He he! Bought a ATV! Sold the atv, bought a scoot!
The day I bought it I wore my fav t-shirt. (Dont Annoy the Crazy Person)

I thin its the transmission whining, does not sound bad just curious about it.
I took it out on the hwy today to put a few miles on it, sure is a sweet ride!
The wind was very strong and the bike felt very planted my head was buffetting from the wind but the bike was true and strait. Im impressed!
Proud American

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I new here new owner 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom. Well yseterday was the first day of ownership and riding. A couple of things I noticed that I have ???s on
1. The fuel guage does not go all the way to full?
2. Is the bike supposed to sound like a rocket ship, really makes a loud, very distinct whistling sound. Acceleration or decel?Thanks
The George Jetson Spacecar sound...LOL....It's the way the gears are cut.
Mine sounds the same way.....Normal

·
Registered
543 Posts
Transmission whine is normal on a kawasaki. I know on my current ride, 07 900 custom, and my previous ride, 03 vn750, both have transmission whine, so does every kawasaki I've ever ridden. Don't sweat it. I'd only be worried if the whining stopped.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Oh my 900 does have some transmission noise, not bad though. When I switched to 100% synth oil, I noticed that a lot of the noise went away.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
whistling you say? have you checked your bike for dwarves?

·
recovering workaholic
1,066 Posts
It`s whistling because it either doesn`t know the words,or the words are dirty and it doesn`t want to offend anyone..
John

·
got lost along the way
23,356 Posts
Does it count if it's happening on a 800??
Mine sounds just like a tea kettle!
Only started doing it around 2200kms, have know idea what it is...It's about the pitch of "C", and doesn't change pitch, just loudness with the speed :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe should consider new name for forum! Good Humor Kawasaki Forum!
I think its whistling America the Beautiful,

·
recovering workaholic
1,066 Posts
Could it be wind whistling through the radiator ?
Just a thought-I was just looking at one of my RC planes,an F4U Corsair...remembered it used to happen(WW2) when the wind swept through the radiators.(that`s why the Japanese refered to the Corsair as "Whistling Death")
John

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Mine whistles at speed, too. But I have a lot of stuff on the front of my bike that can catch the wind just right to cause that,

·
2007 VN900 LT
144 Posts
Does it count if it's happening on a 800??
Mine sounds just like a tea kettle!
Only started doing it around 2200kms, have know idea what it is...It's about the pitch of "C", and doesn't change pitch, just loudness with the speed :)
That's it! I always wondered what my 900 sounded like! I'm riding a tea kettle on wheels!

·
got lost along the way
23,356 Posts
YUP! You can stop for a cuppa anytime :) Tetley please :)

Isn't it annoying!
I have nothing on the front of the bike, and it only started after 2200kms(1100mils or so) I've owned the bike since new..never did it before

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have a windshield, covered all my wiring, a toolbag, aftermarket mirrors with cutouts in the stems, a throttle lock.. all things that have something the wind could be blowing through or around to produce a whistle.

·
got lost along the way
23,356 Posts
I have a windshield, covered all my wiring, a toolbag, aftermarket mirrors with cutouts in the stems, a throttle lock.. all things that have something the wind could be blowing through or around to produce a whistle.
I'm guesing turning is interesting with all that weight on the front :)

·
Planning next trip...
116 Posts
My "tea pot" whistles something fierce between 40 - 60 MPH and the pitch changes with the amount of throttle I give it. If I pull in the clutch, it goes away until I engage the clutch again. Oh, it also doesn't happen until the engine is fully warmed up. First thing in the morning on a cold day, it won't whine at all. Once it is warm, it's singing away.

From the multiple complaints I've seen on this forum and others, I'm starting to accept that it's just the way these 900's were put together. It's a shame. It's so annoying it's the only reason I question recommending this bike to anyone.

I'm about to add the Scootworks front pulley and I'm kinda hoping the whistle will magically leave after this. :???:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts