Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure which forum to put this in, so I'll try here. I have a nice white vinal seat that I want to be black. Are there any dyes out there that actually work? Or should I just recover it? I would hate the recovering idea if there are any dyes that work. Ideas?

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Personally I would just have it recovered.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Personally I would just have it recovered.
Agreed. I've used vinyl paints on the door panels in my Cutlass...its rubbed off in a couple areas of 'high' wear. I put high in quotes because, its a door panel...not something you sit on.

It may work, but I wouldn't trust it to last myself.

·
Registered
359 Posts
DupliColor sells a rattlecan vinyl coating in several colors. It seems like I read somewhere that it worked on a KZ seat. Maybe it was wiredgeorge - not sure. But don't get mad at me if it doesn't work. :)
I used a spray vinyl paint to change my Carmen Ghia seat from brown to black, worked well but then I sold it. it's prbably worth trying, you can always get the seat recovered but remember that white seat will be history. Also wear play clothes to test it out. The paint will surely wear off to some extent.

·
Registered
125 Posts
look into automotive paint dealers / distributors.

a good coat of adhesive promoter & a couple coats of a good automotive dye "should" hold up to a motorcycle seat.

if you have ever seen paint chip books? like when you paint a car... well there are color chips to buy automotive interior dyes too. many body shops use to match parts, & the good dyes seem to hold up well.

if I was going to change color I wouldnt hesitate to use the automotive dyes. it may still rub off in high wear area, but a recoat would be applied.

the only down side is you need an automotive paint gun & compressor to apply.....

might be possible with a wagner power sprayer on the cheap? but when I went to college a guy bought cars at auction, sanded with electric sander, & painted with a wagner power sprayer, using house paint, he paid his way through college for 2 years, plus his gf, just reselling cars with new paint jobs. his only compressor was a small portable hand held.

Later,
Randy

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I haven't seen a Wagner in use in many years but all the ones I have seen wouldn't make a decent boat anchor. They spit and splattered more than they sprayed. I guess they've made some improvements to the pressure and spray tips since then. :lol:

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
I shot some blandex with my bro's wagner years ago and it did fine. Of course I had to thin the paint something fierce.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
I sprayed the orange seat of the Z1000 I had to black and it held up well. Dupli-color vinyl and fabric spray. Much cheaper and easier than covering it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jbsmd, I'll try that stuff, and everyone else, thanks for the tips! What did you do for prep before using the Dupli-color? I guess my main concern is that, if there's anywhere on a bike that gets the most wear, other then the tires, it's got to be the seat. I've seen recolored vinyl seats that look great just after coloring, but the stuff falls off just after starting use. Usually it flakes off due to poor adhesion between the vinyl and the paint/dye.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
Considering the roughness of blandex, how would one know if it did a good job or not? :lol:
So true.
Someone had used it as decking on a porch which was open underneath and we tried rolling and brushing but it was too rough. The color was uniform so I guess we did ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts