Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts about white walls on the NOMADs?. I saw a Stratoliner with white walls it looked pretty sharp. Havn't seen any NOMADs. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Next set of tires I get for the Drifter will be Whitewalls. (Despite the fact the war bonnet fenders hide most of the wheels and tires) Some classic looking Bikes just get that extra shine with em' The Nomad is definitely one of them. Just get ready to keep em' white so extra maintenance is coming. Not too bad if the right tool and product is used.
Painless Black Wolf
...Here for the Dawn...

2005 Drifter 800

·
Giggidy-Giggidy-Goo!
1,623 Posts
I'm thinking about going WW on my next set, but the choices are kind of slim ...have to go down to a 150/80-16 on the rear to get one, I think.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
For the 1600 Nomad, you're looking at dropping down a couple of sizes for the rear.
You can't get WWW larger than a 150/80-16.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Well worth it if you ask me. White walls are just... amazing on a classic.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Unfortunately, that only works on tires that already have a narrow white wall. Bike tires and cage tires that don't have raise white lettering are black all the way through.

The tire paint is an option, but I've read a lot of feedback on the forums and it doesn't seem to be very durable for regular use... and it's $25/can plus $20 shipping, and from what I've read on coverage, you would really want 2 or 3 cans to do the job.

Durability seems to vary a lot... seems like the stuff from Iceland is about the best thing out there. The stuff available "locally" sounds like it cracks and peels very quickly. Seems to be more for "show" than for "go".

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
I went the White Wall Paint way on my Nomad last spring.

I am less than satisfied with the results. When fresh, it looks good. With just a few miles or a couple of months they tend to yellow, badly. I'll go with Metzler 880 WWWs this winter.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I went the White Wall Paint way on my Nomad last spring.
I am less than satisfied with the results. When fresh, it looks good. With just a few miles or a couple of months they tend to yellow, badly. I'll go with Metzler 880 WWWs this winter.
Was this the stuff from Iceland, or paint available locally?

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Was this the stuff from Iceland, or paint available locally?
It was the iceland stuff. If you are into cleaning and washing the bike every week is would be ok. I'm no tin favor of using harsh detergents on my wheels/tires on a weekly basis. Might work fine if you are into restorations, but not for a daily driver.

I've got two cans left over. Want them?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Whitewalls on a black bike would look great IMO. My friend has a black Roadstar and when he saw the WW's I put on my dark blue/black bike, he started thinking hard about it.

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
If you like it, go for it.

If anyone else don't like it, well, you can quote Dr. Frank-N-Furter, "I didn't make him (it) for you.":biggrin:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have seen a few Nomads with the W/W tires. Mine had Chen Sing white wall tires on the bike when I bought it. The ChenSing's were bad tires. If the roads got a little wet they would break loose. Thats no fun!! I pulled them off and put Metzlers on.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I've got two cans left over. Want them?
I considered getting it at one time, but not if I'm going to have to wash my bike more than once a year :biggrin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts