Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 1500 Classic and I am almost ready for some new tires. I'm debating on switching my look of the bike by adding whitewalls. So I've attached some pictures for you guy's to look at and give me your opinion. I know I will be changing the paint to a 2-tone when I get a full time job and whitewalls will definitely be installed then. But that won't be for at least a year or so from now.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ye gads MJScore!!! No one but an old Harley rider or a New Orleans pimp would put whitewalls on their bikes and even they wouldn't put them on a custom boss looking bike like yours. Stick with blackwalls and keep it cool!

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
I disagree with the above. I get nothing but compliments from other bikers who see my bike. However, it's not for everyone, but for those of us who love the old school Classic look, white walls and spoke wheels go very nicely together.
Here's a pic of my 1500, with Metzler ME880 white walls, just to give you an idea.
By the way, gorgeous 97 you got there ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a very nice looking 03 you have Dudester. What have you found to be the easiest way to keep your whitewalls looking like new? Also did you add something to the chrome side covers?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I thought about whitewalls and that pic makes me wish I had gotten them. One problem was both tires didn't need replacing at the same time and I was concerned about keeping them white. Is it a lot of trouble keeping them clean?

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
I disagree with the above. I get nothing but compliments from other bikers who see my bike. However, it's not for everyone, but for those of us who love the old school Classic look, white walls and spoke wheels go very nicely together.
Here's a pic of my 1500, with Metzler ME880 white walls, just to give you an idea.
By the way, gorgeous 97 you got there ;)

dayum. that IS one sharp looking bike!

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
That is a very nice looking 03 you have Dudester. What have you found to be the easiest way to keep your whitewalls looking like new? Also did you add something to the chrome side covers?
Thanks MJScore. To clean the while walls, I just use fine steel wool S.O.S. soap pads, which do a tremendous job with very little effort. Wet the tires, wet the S.O.S. pad, rub the white walls all around, and rinse....Voila done !
The fact that our bikes are shaft driven, as opposed to chains or even belts, is that the rear tire remains clean, like the front one.

The chrome side covers come from a guy who makes them in Ohio (I think). They're different than any other I've seen, with the billet strips on them. The guy sells them for $ 75.00 a pair. He only makes them for the Vulcan 1500.

Thanks Pat0021 ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use Wesley's Bleach White on my raised white lettering and suspect it would work well with white walls. I spray the whole tire as it works well getting the gunk out of the rubber.

My next tire change I plan on going to whitewalls.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.