Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering who has taken on the job of debaffling their 1600 stock pipes? I want a deeper sound but don't have the funds right now for after market pipes. How hard for of a job is it? Bear in mind that my mechanical skills are pretty basic. Just curious what they would sound like and if there is much of a difference or improvement over stock. Any input would help, thanks!!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Try drilling some holes around the plate at the end of the pipe first. I did this on mine (6 holes with a 3/8" drill) and it made a nice change to the stock sound. Deeper and just a touch louder. Then if you don't like how that sounds, you can go for the full debaffle.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did a full debaffle on my 1600 classic about a year and a half ago, and I am really happy with it. It sounds much better than stock, and it is not so loud that I think I am going to get any tickets with it. I did it mainly so I could retain the large size of the stock pipes, and that has several advantages. First you retain the double walled system, and that runs much cooler than any aftermarket system I have seen. The large volume of the stockers also cancels the sound of backfires so no need to marble. If you don't modify the intake, you don't need a fuel management processor, and you retain the low end torque. The disadvantages I have seen are a slight loss of MPG, in my case I lost 2 mpg, and the stock system is heavy so you don't get to lose that weight of going to an aftermarket system. Two more advantages are the stock system is going to last a long time as there is no packing material to wear out, and the highway speed sound though deep and fairly loud in not a drowning sound that will give you a headache on long rides or lead to rider fatigue like some aftermarket pipes do unless you wear ear plugs (which I find uncomfortable.) Besides why make your bike louder then wear ear plugs so you can stand your own noise on long rides.

You can always debaffle first, and if you want louder, you can go aftermarket later. You just cannot go back ounce you cut out the baffles. The job is not difficult if you follow the instructions on the Gadget site. Good luck, and I hope you like the results with whatever you decide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts