Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
OPEN ROAD IS CALLING
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking about weather it would be worth upgrading to a v2k.
I like my 05 1500 classic, but at times would like more acceloration.
I also have an st1300 for the more spirited rides. But I still like the cruisers
as well. Anyone care to tell about their experience from 1500 to 2000?
Thanks, Kurt

·
Registered
995 Posts
I rode both when looking to upgrade from a Suzuki C50. The V2K has amazing torque but it was just too big (size/weight) for me so I opted for the 1500. I'm happy with it..................

·
Registered
659 Posts
I dont know if you care but I went from a 900 custom to a 2000 classic. THE ONLY THING BAD ABOUT THE V2K is that chews up a rear tire very quickly.Other than that I love it.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
THE ONLY THING BAD ABOUT THE V2K is that chews up a rear tire very quickly.
Which is why Darkside tires are so popular on them. Why change out three tires a year.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I went from a mean Streak to a V2K (then to a ZX14...but that's another story)
As far as cruisers go, the torque and acceleration are a thing to behold...and cannot truely be understood unless one throw a leg over and whacks that throttle.

I never had a real issues with the back tires on my old V2K (and if you really want to complain about going thru tires, try riding a big sportbike.....I replaced my first set of tires on the ZX14 after 3000km!)
I pulled 13000km out of my Metzller ME880 which I thought was totally acceptable for a rear tire on a 100+hp 800 pound torque grinding cruiser.

Just beware....do not take one for a ride unless you're prepared to buy.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
My last bike was 1100 Ltd in 83. I have the 2006 v2k and I am 5ft 6 inch tall.
I love the machine. No issues with weight at all, I beleave there is more power to be had in the moter.
I am still working on that..
I have 1900 km on it and 3 back tires, two up front,
I will give it more as needed..
I agree with Trikebuddle
Terry and its cold up here.

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
I went form the 1500 to the V2K. Don't get the idea that it's just 500 cc's larger. Take one up to highway speed and crack the throttle. The 1500 has about 1/3 the power, judging by the butt-dyno.

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
And yeah, 3 rears and a front first season. Next year I rode more mildly, 2 rears and a front. Dark rear and a rear on the front took care of my tire problems. Now it's cheap to ride.

·
Registered
161 Posts
1500-2000

Just thinking about weather it would be worth upgrading to a v2k.
I like my 05 1500 classic, but at times would like more acceloration.
I also have an st1300 for the more spirited rides. But I still like the cruisers
as well. Anyone care to tell about their experience from 1500 to 2000?
Thanks, Kurt
I had a 1500 classic, rode it for 3 years. Went to a V2k. The V2k wins hands down on the handling and power dept. You won't be sorry. My wife has rode my V2k. She also likes it with only one drawn back. She is short and i can't lower the v2k low enough for her. I've got a lowering kit on her 900. If someone ever comes out with a decent lower kit, she'll have a V2K too

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I rode an 04 1500 Classic and upgraded to the V2k. It is a totally different ride but once you get adjusted to the new lines needed on the 2000, the 2000 is an excellent ride. The extra gas for me was keen, I had jetted my carb looking for more low end acceleration and top end presence. I found it but at a cost.

the 2k with 5.6 gallons in the tank at 40+mpg gives you the range to cruise all day. The "more" that I was searching for came in spades with the 2000 over my 1500. The 1500 was no slouch as far as 1500's go and holding its own with other bikes in its class but once I moved up almost 30% in displacement, there was NO going back

I'm 5'7" and orginally thought the bike was too big for me. I do look small on it but I can ride it as well as I did my 1500.

·
Registered
362 Posts
OK,I went from a 2001 Nomad(1500) to a 2005 1600 Nomad(hated it,compared to the '01).Seems like everything I liked on the 01,they screwed up on the 05.Then I got a ,06 V2K LT,and love it!!!!I solved the short life of the rear tire, by going to a car tire.I have over 38,000 miles on it now(30,000 on the car tire) and would buy another one tomorrow,if something happened to mine.

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
I went from a 1600 Classic to the V2K and don't regret it one bit. The V2K has much more power, torque and acceleration. Also IMO the V2K is a lot smoother and better handling and is a whole lot more fun to ride than my old 1600.

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
And don't let people tell you how heavy the bike is. It handles like a Kawi. Period! Just get used to it. I've had a number of people tell me I ride it like a "small" bike.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
I went from a 1600 Classic to the V2K and don't regret it one bit. The V2K has much more power, torque and acceleration. Also IMO the V2K is a lot smoother and better handling and is a whole lot more fun to ride than my old 1600.
belt drive and dfi help alot...

went from VN750 to the V2K and then ZX14 (but kept the V2K) and the 750 was a started for wife

·
enjoying the ride
448 Posts
I went from a 1500 to a 1600. I would have enjoyed the extra power the 2000 has, but I have no problem keeping up with everyone I ride with. Some of the reasons I didn't get a 2000 are-I've had 3 bikes in a row with shaft drive, and I really like it, tires last a long time, less power means less stress on components, meaning less engine, transmission, drivetrain failures. You always read about people getting super long life out of 15/16 bikes, I have never read about a high miles, problem free 2000, are there any out there?

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
I have had zero probs on my V2K...3 yrs in April

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
got 10K on the V2K and another 10K on the 14 with NO probs at all

1 - 20 of 38 Posts