Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you riding a vn1500 ,year from 87 to 99 still have your plastic oil gear ?and if i could ask how many of them do you know went bad, just trying to establish a % of failures .

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have a '99 Classic and it still has the pog with 13k miles. I had thought about having it replaced (actually have a dealer willing to swap it out under Kawi warranty before it fails) but have put it off, most likely because the two vulcan owners that I personally spoke with that had them changed, each afterwards experienced an oil leak, albeit small, most due to poorly seated seals as splitting the case is essential to the Kaw sanctioned repair. Interestingly you will hear of people talking about a Judge's steel gear that can be used to replace the plastic one without tearing down the engine but whenever I contacted one of the owners that were going to replace this gear they never got around to doing it, possibly intimidated by the work involved. I also remember looking at some website that had actual failure statistics and the percentage of failures is actually not all that great and lowest, for some reason among Classic owners and higher with Nomad owners. Most, if they are to fail do so between 12 and 20k miles. I for one have chosen to take a wait and see attitude. My bike is in overwise show room condition and I hate the thought of having the engine torn down for whatever reason. I've gotten over the worry of possible failure and simply ride and enjoy myself.

·
98' 1500 Classic
978 Posts
I have a '99 Classic and it still has the pog with 13k miles. I had thought about having it replaced (actually have a dealer willing to swap it out under Kawi warranty before it fails) but have put it off, most likely because the two vulcan owners that I personally spoke with that had them changed, each afterwards experienced an oil leak, albeit small, most due to poorly seated seals as splitting the case is essential to the Kaw sanctioned repair. Interestingly you will hear of people talking about a Judge's steel gear that can be used to replace the plastic one without tearing down the engine but whenever I contacted one of the owners that were going to replace this gear they never got around to doing it, possibly intimidated by the work involved. I also remember looking at some website that had actual failure statistics and the percentage of failures is actually not all that great and lowest, for some reason among Classic owners and higher with Nomad owners. Most, if they are to fail do so between 12 and 20k miles. I for one have chosen to take a wait and see attitude. My bike is in overwise show room condition and I hate the thought of having the engine torn down for whatever reason. I've gotten over the worry of possible failure and simply ride and enjoy myself.
do you know of any particular driving attribute that causes this pog failure or is it just happen-stance? mine must still have the pog since I'v done nothing to change it. thx doug

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the same as you , splitting the case would be a big mistake , As for the J.O.G pretty tough to get , The link ----- Judge's Oil Pump Gear Instructions ..... talks about "clutch spring tabs" extending past the basket .... these tabs must be flush or recessed to prevent contact with the oil pump gear , contact will try to stop gear rotation , Makes sense to me , all failures refer to STRIPPED TEETH , My Q. Is the clutch spring wear the cause of contact with the oil gear , a nylon type oil gear should wear nicely against a metal gear , but would give out if it was caught by some side pressure ,.......Also surfing the net i found only a handfull of failures , I just hooked up a saftey to shut down 1 cyl in the event of loss of oil psi , this i will notice before a light , was going to shut down completely but you never know where you could be (*heavy traffic)

·
Registered
710 Posts
do you know of any particular driving attribute that causes this pog failure or is it just happen-stance? mine must still have the pog since I'v done nothing to change it. thx doug
No, there is no common thread relative to driving habits that were sighted in the stats that I remember seeing. So if you are looking towards minimizing the chances of failure by adjusting your driving habits I don't think there are any. Although I would think that extreme heat would hasten the breakdown of plastic against metal so maybe there is an outside chance that changing your oil and avoiding 85mph / 10 hour travelling days in Arizona in July might help. I believe I saw the stats and this goes back a couple of years on the VROC site. I may still have the url stored on my home computer. If I do and the url is still active I'll post it here.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did the swap to Judge's JOG kit recently and installed his clutch washer setup along with the mean streak spring...Piece of cake if you have an impact tool and can get a 35mm socket..Took about two hours and didn't lose a drop of oil. He is kind of hard to get hold of but it is worth it for peace of mind as far as I'm concerned..Good luck,Rick

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANKS for the info Rick , i will wait it out , i just picked up my gasket , exhaust seal and mean streak clutch spring ,( $60.00) ... is it only the one spring ? diagram shows 3 smaller type ,and 10 towards the rear of basket , i will do a gear inspestion first , How's the weather in FL , WISH I WAS THERE NOW, getting a few cool days now in NIAGARA FALLS, but will be in your warm state come Feb for a bike trip , HAPPY THANKSGIVING .

·
Registered
31 Posts
I changed all three of the cone shaped discs and the single "spring" and added Judges washer kit...the ten discs are the clutch fibre plates.Mine were bad and had to be changed too as the previous owner just smoked the clutch.

The weather in south Florida is quite beautiful right now and hurricane season is ending.I've had enough of this sun and am trying to move north (PA).I want a change of seasons and a return to the english language.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently had to have this done -- my POG failed and I was lucky enough to find some of this info on the web via Gadget's How-to page. Back on the road, and sure as heck beats the 12+ hours of labor the dealer wanted to charge me!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I recently had to have this done -- my POG failed and I was lucky enough to find some of this info on the web via Gadget's How-to page. Back on the road, and sure as heck beats the 12+ hours of labor the dealer wanted to charge me!
Happy to hear you repaired it , did you use the jog (judges oil gear ) I TRIED TO GET ONE ONE BUT HAD NO LUCK , then i checked mine, ... and found it was a steal gear , must have been done before i got the bike

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, I was lucky that way! I did use the JOG and it works like a champ. Thank God for that, too... I couldn't afford a new bike right now, and I love my big green nomad!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 99 and it has 20,000 plus on it now. I spoke to a kaw mechanic and he advised me to let it go. He said they are not really a problem. I guess i will find out.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Is this the part some guy was trying to sell on here just a couple months back, for hundreds of dollars, for 1 silly little gear?

I read that thread and laughed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine was doing great and wonderful until right at 24,000 and WHAM, that gear stripped. I had just put brand new whitewalls on it and a few new chrome doodads, so I was NOT ready to pass it to the junkyard.

Laugh if you want, northernman... that guy's gear design saved my a$$ and I admit it. I paid about $200 for the gear, and the mechanic charged me only two hours labor to install it. Sure as hell beat the 12 hours of labor the Kaw dealer wanted to charge to "do it the right way."

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Mine was doing great and wonderful until right at 24,000 and WHAM, that gear stripped. I had just put brand new whitewalls on it and a few new chrome doodads, so I was NOT ready to pass it to the junkyard.

Laugh if you want, northernman... that guy's gear design saved my a$$ and I admit it. I paid about $200 for the gear, and the mechanic charged me only two hours labor to install it. Sure as hell beat the 12 hours of labor the Kaw dealer wanted to charge to "do it the right way."
I cannot find the thread now, heck it might have got deleted, who knows.

It was a funny thread, thats why I mentioned it.

Some new user signed up and posted he had gears for sale.

He wanted some horrid price for it, I cannot recall exactly, maybe someone can fill in the real price, but seems to me it was about $295.

Then a guy posts saying hey I own the patent on that, and you cannot sell them etc.

It ws just rather funny.

I have no idea who owns the patent, and honestly I could not care less.

But I did find it funny the whole thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Happy to hear you repaired it , did you use the jog (judges oil gear ) I TRIED TO GET ONE ONE BUT HAD NO LUCK , then i checked mine, ... and found it was a steal gear , must have been done before i got the bike
I recently aquired a 99 Nomad and was wondering if their is any way to find out if it has a plastic or the steel gear in it.

Any help will be appreciated

DC

·
PGR
1,711 Posts
Rolling thunder just saved me some grief!

Didn't notice the thrust washer, it was missing in my basket case redeux.

THANKS, MAN!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I opened up the clutch on my 99 Nomad and it still has a plastic gear in it. Kawasaki dealer told me they were no longer replacing them on warranty due to the age of the bike. Looking at the teeth on the gear and they look like sharp v points. Don't think it had much longer to live bike has just under 26k on it. Contacted Judge and have a replacement gear on the way.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts