21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
42k and still plastic and a prayer!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I believe mine just went out. All of a sudden my bike would die and I noticed the oil light stays on. I have 52k miles on my 96 1500. I'm going to open it up to find out if it's stripped and hoping I can get a Judge replacement to get it done fast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello....I was just doing some searching. I have a 99 Nomad with 21000 miles on it and my POG is still hanging in there. I have had two mechanics tell me the same thing. Just ride it, yours is probably fine. One mechanic was in Elyria, Ohio and the other was in Columbus. How about you? Do you still have the bike? Ever have to replace it? I love my 99!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 97' Classic with 33,150 on it and it just took a crap on me, I pulled the engine side cover off and the plastic oil gear's center is broken out! so I'm ordering the Judges gear, I just hope they still make it. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 97' Classic with 33,150 on it and it just took a crap on me, I pulled the engine side cover off and the plastic oil gear's center is broken out! so I'm ordering the Judges gear, I just hope they still make it. Wish me luck!
I am in the same boat with my 99 Nomad. Any luck getting a hold of the Judge?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered it on Jan 10th and had almost give up... no e-mail, no phone call, just a pay pal receipt, then last Thursday Feb21,pay pal sent me a message that my merchandise had shipped! so I hope it's on the way. here's the link to the company that sells it for him- EZ-ON Motorcycle Accessories

·
Not so Newbie
17 Posts
I just hooked up a saftey to shut down 1 cyl in the event of loss of oil psi , this i will notice before a light , was going to shut down completely but you never know where you could be (*heavy traffic)
Good idea on the safety cutout, it would have helped me. My '96 Classic POG bit the dust last summer with 54k miles. I had been cruising along, averaging 80-85mph for about a 30 minute stretch. I usually ride with an open face helmet but since I had a long highway ride ahead of me I opted for my full face. Less buffeting but it blocks my view of the gauges. Well, at one point I happened to glance down and saw both idiot lights on. I quickly flipped the kill switch and coasted to the side of the road. After I got stopped I hit the starter and was greeted with a horrible clatter. I never lost power and I have no idea how longs the lights were on. I'm told that a lot of the clatter could be because the hydraulic lifters were colapsed which made is sound worse than it was.

I've decided to tear down the engine and rebuild. Other problems, like a 2nd gear issue and oil leaking at the valve covers, plus the number of miles, has prompted me to rebuild.

If anybody knows of some web pages or forum threads detailing a rebuild, please share the link. The more info I have to work with the better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello my name is Michael and I live in Ireland where it's nice and wet windy raining and sunny all in one day.iv just purchased a 1998 vn 1500 which to my knowledge it originated from some where in the USA,as it has Infinity on the side panels down low, and iv been hearing a lot about the pog, and also the jodges opg replacement, Iv just replaced the clutch disc's and on inspection of the pog it look remarkably well considering it has 28,798 miles on the clock, I'm going to leave well alone,as the saying goes if it's not broke done fix it!!
Also can someone tell me if Infinity is a drifter,classic or a nomad please
Regards to all Michael or better known as (wiggy) :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, let me be clear. The pump is located on the left side of the engine. The casing for the pump is made of multiple pieces, all through bolted to the engine block. As these pieces are held together, there are no gaskets in between, and I have oil seeping from one of those seams.

I can take a photo when it stops raining if that will help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How many of you riding a vn1500 ,year from 87 to 99 still have your plastic oil gear ?and if i could ask how many of them do you know went bad, just trying to establish a % of failures .
I have a 1997 Classic. My POG failed at 60,000 miles. I drilled a hole on the block to remove the circlip, which is all that holds it on and replaced it with a "steel" one. There are detailed explicit instructions with excellent photos found on the internet. You don't have to repair the hole. I've riden the bike 10,000 miles since the change to steel. You're splitting the case to simply remove the circlip....crazy! No need to remove the engine. Just clean, flush, and vacuum after drilling and cover the hell hole real well before drilling with packing that won't shed or move. Drive a short while after change then change the oil, filter and clean out screen real well when done.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts