Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ridem kawboy
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I gave the big one a good bath. I hand dried it then went for a ride. After about a mile it began missing, backfiring and felt like it dropped a cylinder. After a couple of miles (no place to pull over) it was back to normal, or so I thought. When I got home it blued the pipe comming off the front cylinder. Any idea as to what happened, or what is wrong. Its an 07 vulcan 2000 classic lt.

·
Made it to first gear
103 Posts
Is your bike fuel injected? If so, you may have gotten water in the connector for the front cylinder fuel injecter, causing it to short out and either stick closed or open causing a missfire condition untill the water could evaporate. The same thing could happen to the front spark plug also.

·
ridem kawboy
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is fuel injected. I remember hearing a tapping or clicking towards the front of the engine but with all the other noises it makes, that are said to be normal, I dont usually pay it any mind.

·
Made it to first gear
103 Posts
The extra tapping noise you heard was probably the spark jumping to ground from the plug wire to the head without going thru the spark plug. Electricity will take the path of least resistance and with the head wet around the plug wire it could have been jumping there. I would check to make sure the spark plug wire is all the way on and dry, it shuould snap or pop into place when it is correctly installed.

·
Wind is good
61 Posts
I haven't even washed mine in the 2 months since I've had it.

So I assume it would safer to wait until it dried and evaporated before taking for a ride
so this problem doesn't happen to me?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I usually never soak the bike with a hose. I hand wash it from top to bottom, from start to end. That way, It doesn't get too soaked and water doesn't generally get to where I can dry it. However, it takes a bit of time to completely clean it.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
You should not to be concerned about hosing your bike down. Having it in a good rain, moving or even parked will get it just about as wet as a good wash...lol. Using a pressure wash of course would be a bit much if you get carried away though.

·
ridem kawboy
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got a chance to check the wires today. The front plug wire was only resting in the plug. I have no idea how long its been that way. Thanks it turned out to be more than a tip, it was a cure.

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
I would spray away at that bike with a hose. On purpose (but not up inside places that water was never supposed to go). If that sucker can't take a hose it will have problems w/ rain. I had a bike with a mytery rain problem once. It is very dangerouse to drive in such a situation because you just don't know when the bike may die. Mine choked down just as I pulled out into heavy traffic. I traded it the next week (it had seen 3 different wrenches after I conceded defeat). If you have this sort of problem you need to know about it. It is supposed to be designed to take heavy rain at 7oMPH at least. Thus spray away (with reason where you spray with vigor) cause any promblems it causes are things you needed to know anyway.

·
Made it to first gear
103 Posts
Got a chance to check the wires today. The front plug wire was only resting in the plug. I have no idea how long its been that way. Thanks it turned out to be more than a tip, it was a cure.
Your welcome! The bike is designed to get wet. I just returned from a 1250 mile trip with probably 200 miles being riden in the rain with no problems. Now get out there and ride!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts