Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
V2K In Torque We Trust
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by my local dealer to see the 2008's. They didn't have any 2k's in. When I asked why the salesman said that a lot people are scared of them. He said he can sell 900's and 1600's all day long but the 2k, it may sit on the floor for awhile. I don't know whether I should feel special or stupid for not being scared of my bike. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
There's nothing to be scared of and you certainly aren't stupid for buying a V2K. I had a 1600 Classic before my V2K and IMHO the V2K rides and handles much better, not to mention the sheer fun factor when you twist the GO handle. V2K rocks!!! :mrgreen:

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Many riders are scared by the weight. Others are scared its just too much power for them. Some are intimidated by the price tag.

You have to consider that a lot of people, especially newer riders, only know what they hear from others. In my experience, very few people actually do their own research. So you get a guy who might be a V2K customer, asks his buddy who rides a 900. Buddy says his cousin sat on one and it was hard to lift off the sidestand, so its just too heavy of a bike. Potential customer takes this as gospel, and spreads the word to anyone who asks. It all becomes a snowball, and before long people are scared of the bike.

Its not for everyone. However, I would wage a bet that several potential customers have walked out of that guy's showroom because of the lack of a V2K.

Personally, I think its great that there are so few V2K's around. Makes mine more unique.

·
T,J&R 4ever
1,369 Posts
no reason to be scared it only goes as fast as you twist the throttle, plus it is so low to the ground it does not feel that heavy.. look at all the geaser-glide goldwings out there.. 75 year old men riding them and they are much harder to stand up

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had a good long conversation with a dealer one day, and he said much the same thing. V2K's sit too long to warrant keeping one on the floor. He has a showroom full of 1600's and Nomads.

He made me feel good though. Said it was "a special bike for special people." ;)

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I wouldn't say "scared". I tried one out and all I had to do was pick it up off the kickstand and know that Kawi laid an egg. The style is perfect, the motor great, but there's no reason for it to be that heavy. I know that opinion won't be popular with you guys that own them, but I would never spend my money on one. kawi is going to have to do better at the design table to get my money. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
91 Posts
V2K comes in at 750 lbs dry, and I have to agree with NCDave they are top heavy coming off the sidestand, although once rolling they balance out very nicely, I am so used to it though that when I hop on another bike they feel like a scooter.

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
I tried one out and all I had to do was pick it up off the kickstand and know that Kawi laid an egg. The style is perfect, the motor great, but there's no reason for it to be that heavy.
Was it an earlier model V2K you tried? The '04 and I believe the '05 models had shorter kickstands which made them harder to pick up off the kickstands and therefore make the bike seem heavier. The '06 and later models (mine is an '06) have longer kickstands and picking the bike up off it is not an issue. Once the bike is rolling all heaviness is gone due to the low center of gravity and the well balanced nature of the beast.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Kawasaki shows the dry weight of the LT as 796 pounds.

Yeah, when you first sit on it and look out across that vast expanse of gas tank, it gives quite an impression.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I do have a small correction to what I wrote earlier.

A couple weeks ago, I was moving mine around in the garage and didn't notice the kickstand had folded back about half way when I went to set it down. As it passed the point of no return, it was indeed "too heavy".

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
Rob, what's your comparison of the V2K versus riding the VN900? Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Dry Weight 750 lb.
When I moved from an 800cc bike to a 1600 the weight gain was 100 pounds. Gaining another 500cc's on a V2K at an additional 110 pounds does seem a little excessive to me also. But I also thought the V2k's weighed a lot more than 750 lbs. I actually thought they weighed about 1000 lbs...lol. So 750 doesn't seem so bad. It would be nice if Kawasaki would make our bikes lighter but then the cost would probably be a lot more.

·
V2K In Torque We Trust
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
V2K comes in at 750 lbs dry, and I have to agree with NCDave they are top heavy coming off the sidestand, although once rolling they balance out very nicely, I am so used to it though that when I hop on another bike they feel like a scooter.
I did buy and after market kick stand and that made it a lot easier to set it up. I gotta be careful where I park it tho, cuz it's a little unstable to the right. But I am happy with the taller stand.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Rob, what's your comparison of the V2K versus riding the VN900? Just wondering.
Jerkybear, Pretty tough to compare the two bikes side by each, kind of an apples and oranges thing to say the least.

The V2K is twice the displacement, twice the H.P. and twice the torque and it weighs only about 150 lbs more dry.

The 900 handles well and I enjoy riding it, handling in the curves is excellent and exceleration is respectable (for a cruiser). I have done a couple of long roadtrips (700 miles/trip) with it and found it very capable and comfortable (once I got the windshield buffeting problem under control). If I had not ridden the V2K I would be a very happy biker on the 900.

But you know what they say "there's no replacement for displacement"

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Many riders are scared by the weight. Others are scared its just too much power for them. Some are intimidated by the price tag.

You have to consider that a lot of people, especially newer riders, only know what they hear from others. In my experience, very few people actually do their own research. So you get a guy who might be a V2K customer, asks his buddy who rides a 900. Buddy says his cousin sat on one and it was hard to lift off the sidestand, so its just too heavy of a bike. Potential customer takes this as gospel, and spreads the word to anyone who asks. It all becomes a snowball, and before long people are scared of the bike.

Its not for everyone. However, I would wage a bet that several potential customers have walked out of that guy's showroom because of the lack of a V2K.

Personally, I think its great that there are so few V2K's around. Makes mine more unique.
I wouldn't think the price would be a factor? Not when so many seem to able to lash out $18-20k
without a problem with a domestic bike :shock: You know the ones we cannot say the name of, it starts with an "H" and ends with "arley". :lol:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
the salesman said that a lot people are scared of them.
I wouldn't buy crapola from that salesman or that dealer.... to me that smacks of uninformed and an opinion that I can (or can not) form on my own!

1 - 20 of 246 Posts