Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at gear for the warm weather, specifically a perforated leather jacket. But I got thinking, why black? It seems like 90% of the offerings at the store are black, and most cruiser riders wear black. But that makes no sense on a hot & sunny summer day. Wouldn't I be better off with a lighter color perforated leather jacket for the summer?

·
Banned
880 Posts
thank god someone else shares my sentiment on this issue. Why is it that most cycling gear is black??? Why turn us all into baked potatos? Anyway, your right, to me it makes no sense which is why i bought a *********** Trip Diablo mesh jacket for now til i can afford a nice light colored leather jacket and yea my helmet will more than likely either be white also or silver. Also the brighter lighter colors should be more reflective. I just dont get it. Its exactly the same for mt. biking gear and it kills me cause then yer actually pedalling and exhausting yerself in 90+ deg. heat which makes even less sense. Us people should start a new gear shop that specializes in little or no black!!:biggrin:

·
... at the old, ballgame!
1,061 Posts
Ditto - wearing black during the summer doesn't make much sense to me, either.

My summer riding jacket is a First Gear - silver mesh, with black accents. Armor in the elbows and shoulders, padded upper spine area. It has a black windbreaker that zips in, and I've worn it in the upper 90's to down as cold as 38 F (with appropriate under-layers).

My helmet is black, mostly because that was the only color the shop had in my size at the time I bought it. OTOH, all of the padding in the helmet acts as insulation, and with the vents open the helmet doesn't transfer much heat to my head.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you and I are of the same mind captcalyx. I don't do much mountain biking, but I've been a roadie for almost 20 years. I figure the difference between a black leather jacket and a lighter color such as silver or even light grey, has got to be 20 degrees when you are standing at a traffic light on a 90 degree day. I'm going to a big motorcycle show next month and I'm hoping to find and buy a good perforated leather jacket while I'm there. I think I'm going to look for lighter colors. Even if that doesn't fall in line with what most consider the biker look.

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
I think B-Bob has the same jacket I had except mine was black w/silver accents -that was one great jacket.

I think any light color would look pretty rough after awhile where black at least looks clean even when it isn't.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Besides the reflective quality of lighter colors there is also the visibility that lighter colors afford a rider also I don't look good in black. :lol:

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Cruiser = black just the way it is (LOL)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
+1 also, black is a universal color. It matches what ever color your bike is. If you change the color of your bike or get a new bike with a different color, black will always match it. Buy a hot pink jacket for your Hot pink bike, but sell that bike and get a kawa green bike, Hot pink jacket might just look funny on kawa green.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Some of it has to do with the piece goods. Black is popular because it's pretty stable and there isn't alot of fluctuation in color between die lots. Small degrees of irregularity in color don't render the whole lot useless the way it will with vivid colors like red. Economy of scale is also a big factor. It's way cheaper to by alot of fabric in one color. Also, It's herd mentality. Everybody makes stuff in black, so it makes sense to sell stuff that looks good with other black things.

The same thing has happened in skiwear. 20 years ago you could get ski gear in any color you wanted, no matter how hideous! Now you can get black, red, yellow, and orange.

I'm with y'all. I really dislike black clothing when it's warm. But since I buy the double-Shamu sizes in stuff, I have like zero options.

I saw this yesterday- but it's kind of grandpa meets members only
Classy Rider: Weekender - Tan-Airy, Comfortably Cool

I really like this too:
http://www.schottnyc.com/motorcycle-leathers/classic-schott-racer-leather-motorcycle.htm

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Black hides dirt and road grime and stuff that seems to accumulate after a few days on the road.
+1

If heat is a concern, throw a white windbreaker over the black leather... protection and you still reflect the light and heat away.

Go a couple of sizes over on the windbreaker, and get the kind without elastic at the wrists which will allow air to flow through the sleeves.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Cause wearing black is cool and macho and proves you are a man.

I like the white and red shoulders on my jacket and wish they extended further down. On a plus side, I'm also more visible to others on the road, especially combined with my red helmet. My pants are black, but I don't really mind as a different color wouldn't help too much with visibility that down low.

Who really cares about how the color holds up to road grime? If you're on the road long enough to worry about road grime, you're gonna look like hell no matter what color you are wearing.

I think any light color would look pretty rough after awhile where black at least looks clean even when it isn't.
Silver or gray should look better than black. I know a black car is the hardest to keep clean, followed closely by white. My silver car looks clean from 5 feet unless it is covered in salt-filled grime during winter driving.

·
Dead man walking
1,994 Posts
Well, you wonder why I always dress in black
Why you never see bright colors on my back
And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone
Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down
Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town
I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime
But is there because he's a victim of the times

I wear the black for those who never read
Or listened to the words that Jesus said
About the road to happiness through love and charity
Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose
In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes
But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back
Up front there ought 'a be a man in black

I wear it for the sick and lonely old
For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold
I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been
Each week we lose a hundred fine young men

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died
Believin' that the Lord was on their side
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died
Believin' that we all were on their side

Well, there's things that never will be right I know
And things need changin' everywhere you go
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right
You'll never see me wear a suit of white

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day
And tell the world that everything's OK
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

-- Johnny Cash, "Man In Black"

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
I'm looking at gear for the warm weather, specifically a perforated leather jacket. But I got thinking, why black? It seems like 90% of the offerings at the store are black, and most cruiser riders wear black. But that makes no sense on a hot & sunny summer day. Wouldn't I be better off with a lighter color perforated leather jacket for the summer?
Umm, Didn't Zorro wear black ?? His horse was white though lol.
My black leather jacket has 2 zippered front and 2 zippered rear vents to allow air to go through the jacket, plus a removable liner. The sleeves also zip up for better aeration up the arms. Even in the hottest of days here in summer ( top 80-90's) I can't say the jacket is uncomfortable while I'm riding. I do take it off though when we stop for a break, then put it back on to ride. Not an issue with me.
But the main reason I wear it, is for protection in case God forbid I ever kiss the black top, but that has nothing to do with color. I guess a black leather jacket is considered normal for a motorcycle jacket...I mean, look at the Fonz, would he have looked as cool in a red, white or blue leather jacket ?? lol Black says we are bikers, and there's nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Curse you Señor dudester, you busted me. I've been wondering when somebody would notice that El Zorro rides red/titanium, not the traditional black. I've used El Zorro in many boards for several years, but when I finally went out looking for a bike I decided I didn't want black because it's just too common. What can I say, this is not your father's El Zorro ride.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Curse you Señor dudester, you busted me. I've been wondering when somebody would notice that El Zorro rides red/titanium, not the traditional black. I've used El Zorro in many boards for several years, but when I finally went out looking for a bike I decided I didn't want black because it's just too common. What can I say, this is not your father's El Zorro ride.
Sorry Zorro, it was just a matter of time before someone blew your cover. At least you aren't wearing pink leather !! Not that there's anything wrong with that !! :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts