I plan to install a voltmeter on my 2005 VN750. It'a 2 1/6" Vision #
332-103 from egauges.com. The instructions on Starman's Kawasaki
Vulcan 750 Page - Tech and Mods recommends a relay or a manual
switch. When I turn my bike's ignition switch off, everything shuts
off, engine, headlights, running lights, brake light, etc. The
instructions with the gauge does not mention anything about a relay,
they show the gauge wired after the ignition switch. So, if the
whole electrical system goes out when I turn the ignition off, why
do I need a relay or another manual switch (toggle switch)?
Thanks for the input folks, and I hope that you all had great
Holidays.

Mike Hebert

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Sgt Mike said:
So, if the
whole electrical system goes out when I turn the ignition off, why
do I need a relay or another manual switch (toggle switch)?
Thanks for the input folks, and I hope that you all had great
Holidays.

Mike Hebert
Right or wrong, here is my opinion:

I got a chance to read the Starman's instruction and the the key to answering your question is the quote at the beginning: '"Wiring the unit into the headlight, kickstand switch, or other accessory will measure the voltage drop to that part, not your true battery volt". If the volt meter was wired to read the voltage drop across the headlight, for example, you don't need a manual switch or a relay. However, if the objective is to measure the voltage drop of the battery (i.e., voltage between Batt + and Batt -), the wiring of the meter has to bypass the circuits controlled by the swithces (e.g, ignition, headlight, turn signal , etc). You are in essence connecting the positive side of the batterey and the negative side of the battery directly to the meter => There will always be a current through the meter. This is why a manual switch is used. Instead of using a manual switch, he is using a relay which is "nothing more than an electronic switch. Completing a circuit through a coil in the relay causes a reaction that in turn causes a connection between two or more terminals in the relay." (I got the description from someone else). He is basically using the realy as an automatic switch.

I hope this helps.

P.S. The one thing I am not sure is if the relay set up that he is using will cause the volt meter to read the true voltage drop across the battery.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply PPARKS. I'll try the set up that Starman has

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Sgt Mike, I forgot to mention one another item:

Instead of changing the Accessory fuse to 5A (from 10 A), I recommend you leave that to 10A and install another fuse box going into the relay (#30) and add a 5A fuse. You can purchase a fuse box from JC Whitney ~ $25.00 and a box of 5A fuses from an auto store cheap.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ppark said:
Sgt Mike, I forgot to mention one another item:

Instead of changing the Accessory fuse to 5A (from 10 A), I recommend you leave that to 10A and install another fuse box going into the relay (#30) and add a 5A fuse. You can purchase a fuse box from JC Whitney ~ $25.00 and a box of 5A fuses from an auto store cheap.
That's a good fail safe precaution. That way the original fusing wont be altered so the warranty will not be affected. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts