Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
That was an interesting dyno-run that that kid made. I preface the following by saying this first: I know next to nothing about running a dyno on a bike. My understanding is that the power delivery is always the same no matter what gear the bike is in. So when you measure the hp of a bike, you kind of want to take the engine through the tach in each gear to get an accurate reading. With that understanding, why did the kid shift the bike hard and keep the bike up high in the rev's like that just to do a dyno run? And yeah, why did the kid pull the clutch in at the end? Shouldn't he have let the engine slow down while it's still in gear instead of taking the load off of the engine all at once like that?

This is more of what I'm used to seeing in a video of a dyno run:

YouTube - z1000 dyno run

YouTube - Tanya's Z1000 Dyno Day brisbanebikers.com

YouTube - Z1000 dynorun

I think that the comments are stemming from the fact that there isn't a reason to stress the bike like that for a dyno run. But like I said, I know next to nothing about dyno-runs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That was an interesting dyno-run that that kid made. I preface the following by saying this first: I know next to nothing about running a dyno on a bike. My understanding is that the power delivery is always the same no matter what gear the bike is in. So when you measure the hp of a bike, you kind of want to take the engine through the tach in each gear to get an accurate reading. With that understanding, why did the kid shift the bike hard and keep the bike up high in the rev's like that just to do a dyno run? And yeah, why did the kid pull the clutch in at the end? Shouldn't he have let the engine slow down while it's still in gear instead of taking the load off of the engine all at once like that?
you get into a higher gear on the dyno so that acceleration is slow enough to make get an accurate reading (you fly through 1st, 2nd, etc. and will take longer to get through the powerband in 4th,5th, etc.)

I don't understand why he was on it so hard when getting through the gears, I guess he just wanted to calculate power for the top 1000rpm, lol

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
yeah, usually it's run through the gears a bit easier. Just having the rpms high enough to get through the gears without bogging down and stalling, but it certainly doesn't need to be wrung out in the lower gears.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I thought there was some sort of indication to tell you when peak HP was hit so you don't have to wring the bike to redline in every gear.

Bear in mind I've never been near one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
he was bein pretty hard on the bike, dumpin the clutch in every gear like that. shoulda let the engine slow it down as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts