Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I ride what I like
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened years ago on my way to work. I just got down changing the oil and I just sat the oil cap in place. I could have sworn I tightened it but obvisouly I didn't. Got about 5 or so miles to a stop. Made a right turn and my foot slipped off the peg. Looked down and found a surprise. Luckly the oil cap was down my drive road.

So yes, these little engine can fling some oil. The forum wont show my first pic for some reason.

The upside is everything has a nice shine to it. :lol:

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I'd suggest drilling the oil fill cap for safety or lock wire. I use .032" SS safety wire for items I do not want to vibrate or fly off.

The drain plug and fill cap should both be drilled for two reasons: 1. To retain these important caps/plugs.and 2. To ensure no one has messed with your bike.

I've used this website for safety wire supplies:http://www.browntool.com/Default.aspx?tabid=255&txtSearch=*safety+wire+tools*

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yeah... Funny story. Years ago, I did a quick oil change on my GPz550 before heading out to work 22 miles away. Went to work, made it to within about 4 miles from home and the oil pressure light suddenly flashed on, about the same time the rear wheel started to lose traction. Yanked in the clutch, coasted into a gas station, and yep. You guessed it. I put the drain plug in, but forgot to tighten it. Sofa King Wee Todd, Am I. :biggrin:

TL;DR : Remember to tighten your drain plug after changing the oil! :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts