Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, i replaced the friction plates, the steel rings were all ok, i ran them over with steel wool for the hell of it (guy at the shop said itd be a good idea also) so new friction plates, new oil, new set of springs in the clutch as well, old ones were compressed.
now for the fun... bike starts up, settles into idle, i click first and start to go, but releasing the clutch just bogs the bike down and every so often kills the bike, its like im not giving it enough gas, only no matter the throttle position same result. weird part is when i get down the block to the stop sign maybe 200 yards, itll work fine. no problem. usually its some hefty walking and coasting not to mention revving the hell out of it so it wont die.

ive checked and rechecked the clutch and all specs measure within tolerance listed in the book. so other than pulling off the entire clutch basket and replacing every piece, some for a second time, im at a loss.
any help?
please and thank you.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
What model bike? Why was the clutch replaced? What mods are done to the bike? Do you have any other history info on the bike and how it ran or what work was done prior to this. Are you waiting a few min before driving off to let the engine warm up all the way?

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Did you re-adjust the clutch to allow for the new friction plates and springs? The adjusting screw(held with a lock nut)must be loosened and readjusted to allow for the increased or restored thickness of the new plates. Never use any oil additives such as Slick-50 or any kind of friction reducers as they will hinder clutch operation. You may have "buffed" the steel plates to the point of being too slick to grab and hold the friction plates. What year and model bike are we speculating on?:toetap:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did you re-adjust the clutch to allow for the new friction plates and springs? The adjusting screw(held with a lock nut)must be loosened and readjusted to allow for the increased or restored thickness of the new plates. Never use any oil additives such as Slick-50 or any kind of friction reducers as they will hinder clutch operation. You may have "buffed" the steel plates to the point of being too slick to grab and hold the friction plates. What year and model bike are we speculating on?:toetap:

cable adjustment would be my guess too.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.