Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Widder 'Lectric Gloves (Woo hoo!)

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  JTpaintball70 
#1 ·
OK, this is going to sound like an advertisement, but I don't work for Widder.

I got them wired up this afternoon and it was easy. The gloves come with a fused battery adapter that has connectors that are attached directly to the battery posts. The wires are zip-tied near the battery to keep any tension off the leads and the main power plug is run out between the tank and seat to the left.

A wiring harness with ON/OFF switch is included, which connects the gloves to the battery adapter. The harness is draped across the shoulders and each glove plug held between the fingers while a riding jacket is donned. The third plug is allowed to run out from under the jacket to the left and is connected to the battery adapter after mounting the bike.

I took a 110-mile ride with them this afternoon. Woo hoo! :grin: The gloves are lightweight and pretty warm by themselves since they are lined with Thinsulate. However, when your digits get cold, simply reach down, flip the switch, and your hands will quickly start to feel like they're in a toaster oven. The weather was actually pretty warm (50s F) today and I couldn't keep the gloves turned on the whole time. I can't wait for a 30 F morning to really put these to the test.

One important note: Widder says these gloves run large and they aren't kidding. I normally wear a size M, so I ordered a S. The S were still too big for me, so I exchanged them for size XS. The XS are OK, but I think XXS (the smallest size available) might actually be best for me. Still, I'm not sure whether or not I want to call the mailorder company again and do without the gloves for another week while the exchange is taking place.

Anyway, these gloves get 2 thumbs up from me! :lol:

See less See more
#4 ·
Neo,

Sounds great......I will put a pair of those gloves on my wish list for next year!!!!!!! We have been iced in and temperatures below 20f some days....Haven't ridden in a bout 2 weeks now....getting bike fever. :grin: :lol: :lol:

Have great 2005 full of safe and fun riding!!!!

Heather

#7 ·
kyhick1 said:
Neo,

Sounds great......I will put a pair of those gloves on my wish list for next year!!!!!!! We have been iced in and temperatures below 20f some days....Haven't ridden in a bout 2 weeks now....getting bike fever. :grin: :lol: :lol:

Have great 2005 full of safe and fun riding!!!!

Heather
Yeah, they're a bit pricey. That's why I couldn't buy the vest, too. Maybe next month. Still, I've wanted a motorcycle for so long that, when I finally got one last April, I was determined to ride, no matter how hot or cold, except in rain, sleet, or snow. I laughed to myself when my insurance company offered to refund part of my premium when I "parked my bike for the winter". They didn't know who they were talking to. :)

Thanks for the well wishes for 2005! Same to you and your family.

#10 ·
First Real Trial

OK. Last night I gave the gloves their first real trial. It was 24 F with winds out of the North at 10 MPH. I made a 16 mile ride home (at speeds of up to 70 MPH) and the gloves did their job well. Towards the end, I could tell that the rest of my body was approaching mild hypothermia :grin: because I shivered once. But my hands were just fine. If I could also get the Widder vest, I think I could ride for several hours at that temperature. Add their arm & leg chaps and who knows what would be possible. Anyway, these gloves still get two thumbs up from me. :wink:

#12 ·
Thanks for the update Neo!

I'm like you....if I can keep warm enough...and the roads are navigable....I would ride more than I do now. Just have to spend the $$$ to get there. Gonna have to add more $$$ to the piggy bank. ;)

#13 ·
Neo said:
Towards the end, I could tell that the rest of my body was approaching mild hypothermia :grin: because I shivered once.
alright, that one got a laugh out of me !

#14 ·
Neo said:
. If I could also get the Widder vest, I think I could ride for several hours at that temperature. Add their arm & leg chaps and who knows what would be possible. Anyway, these gloves still get two thumbs up from me. :wink:
So if you get the gloves, vest, arm, and leg chaps, do you have to get a separate battery to run all these things or do they provide a battery backpack? ;-)

#15 ·
JoeNomad1 said:
So if you get the gloves, vest, arm, and leg chaps, do you have to get a separate battery to run all these things or do they provide a battery backpack? ;-)
Yeah, you'd want to sit down with pencil & paper to figure out whether or not your particular bike's electrical system could handle all that and still charge the battery. If you were using all the gear at once, you'd probably be taking a rather long trip, which would give the battery more time to charge. Too, I found that, except for that one night at 24 F, I didn't have to run the gloves the entire time.

#17 ·
JoeNomad1 said:
Neo, If you brought all those items from Widder, it would run you over $400. Kind of pricey for a warm ride.
It just depends on how bad you want to ride when it's freezin' cold, but nice otherwise. :grin: However, as I said in my reply to JoeNomad1 above,

Neo said:
If you were using all the gear at once, you'd probably be taking a rather long trip...
If you think about it, $400 is pretty cheap for the ability to tour in the colder months. Besides, most of the folks around here wouldn't think twice about spending that much on performance mods. What good are those mods if it's too cold for you to ride? ;-) The Widder gloves will probably be enough to keep me riding (for essential trips like work) 12 months out of the year here in north Alabama. The vest would be a nice plus that would allow me to make extended pleasure rides on very cold (20-30s F) days.

(Oh, now I see...you're in Central Florida. You and I don't have the same definition of "cold" ;-) )

#18 ·
Neo,
Yea, Just messing with you. Usually all we have to do is wear some leather, gloves, and maybe a few extra layers. It's suppose to be in the low 30s on Monday morning and I am going to test my mettle and see how much I need to put on in order to ride. That's pretty cold for these parts. I think I could get into some of those gloves. I am like you, if my hands are warm, then everything else is bearable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.