Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my first oil change at 600 miles. Leaving aside the fact that the factory application of the filter was WAAAAAAY to tight, I found a wierd little clamp on the filter. Its a metal band that can be tightened or loosened, and secured to it is a rubber prong. The prong has to slide between two other prongs that are mounted right above the threads for the filter on the engine block. The only purpose I can see for this is a safeguard against the filter accidentally coming loose while riding. In a case like that, the prongs would prevent the filter from turning at all.

Personally I think its overkill, but I wanted to ask those more experienced than myself. Given my ability to tighten a filter down like a normal human being, can I just remove this wierd clamp entirely? I ask because getting it on and off requires a great deal of effort with a small allen key.

Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi blue streak! I left my oil strap on, I didn't think it was a big deal taking it off or installing it. Yes, it's a little difficult but if it's there, it's there for a reason.

Another thing I would like to mention is that the service manual recommends you torque the oil filter down to 23 FT-LBS. I know this is difficult to do when your using a strap style tool; that's why I bought a K&N oil filter. The K&N oil filter has a nut welded to the top of the can, which makes removal and installation a snap! It also alllows me to put a torque wrench to it and torque per the manufacturer's specifications.

Anyway just my 2 cents!

:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts