Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am fat and the 250 probably wont move as fast with me on it.
I weight 325 pounds. but I dont care, what i want to learn real good are the gears and am afraid on starting on something bigger. My problem is, will my *** fit in it ?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Well, weight-wise you're too heavy for a 250 so forget that bike. Just from weight alone, I suggest the 650R because that engine will do you fine. A more important question is: how tall are you? If you're tall enough, consider the 650R or the SV650. The 650R (parallel twin) has nice current styling but the SV650 will have the little extra torque that would be helpful because it's a v-twin.

As long as you stay away from the inline 4's, you'll be okay. I'm just guessing that you want a Street Bike--as opposed to a cruiser--right? I ask because I saw a guy that looked to be around your weight and he was about 5'11" and when he sat on SE Mean Streak, he looked like he had found his throne. That bike fit him so perfectly and I told him so when he asked me what I thought of him on it (just a kid that I saw at the shop when I was picking up my bike from being serviced). He actually said that he might trade in his ZX-12 for that bike.

So what are you looking for in a bike besides "beginner friendly"? Styling? Commuting purposes, touring or just fun?

·
Registered
35 Posts
not going to lie. your prob going to look a little silly being on such a small bike, but great to see your not jumping on a liter for your first. if i were in your shoes maybe a 500 would be more proportionate. 500 = 325 man as a 250 = 190 pound man. just a thought.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im looking for commute and i really want a sports bike...nothing fast, just something I could really learn real good on and not go crazy on me and kill me.

im kind of short guy, short and fat! 5'4 i think my problem will be on my thighs when i sit on the bike, since im fat with short legs.

·
Riding every day!
1,063 Posts
Visit the dealers and start sitting on lots of bikes until you get one that fits you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Visit the dealers and start sitting on lots of bikes until you get one that fits you.
i have and i like the 650r but i find it a little tall for me, when i sat on it my feet were barely touching the ground, thought about lowering links, but some have said it sucks for the 650.

i was thinking the 500, but find it kind of expensive..so much money for that bike.

do you think i can handle a zzr 600 as my first bike ? that one was real comfy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Most ppl can't. Do you think you can handle a 600? What ultimetly matters is what you think. It is a sport bike and it's also a touring one which makes it great for commuting. If you get one try and get it used.

EDIT: the 500 will be more forgiving. Spend the extra cash and learn the right way rather than dumping your zzr and spending the cash you could have used for the 500 to fix your 600.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
650r would fit the bill. Not overly powerful and is styled right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
serious guy, i have a thyroid problem and they are starting to control my weight. it went crazy after i went through many problems and all the stress made my body go crazy. ive been on a treatment and since then i have lost a few pounds since i have it undercontrol and i am planing to loose all of it.

that is why i am looking for a motorcycle to commute with since i dont have a car to get to work.
and to boost my spirit a little and help me get back on my feet.

·
Insect Interceptor
229 Posts
I know you said sportbike but I was checking out seat height on cruisers with a buddy yesterday because he's 5'7" and has a short inseam. The 900 custom is 27" compared to 32" on my ZX6R. If not, I agree that the 650R would be a good choice until you can drop some of the weight. My guess is that a supersport wouldn't be too forgiving being extra top-heavy. Plus you would want more torque down low for taking off. A bike like mine has no muscle until 8k rpms. I can't spend too much time on this now cuz I'm at work but do a search on what the suspensions can handle on different models. Good luck, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know you said sportbike but I was checking out seat height on cruisers with a buddy yesterday because he's 5'7" and has a short inseam. The 900 custom is 27" compared to 32" on my ZX6R. If not, I agree that the 650R would be a good choice until you can drop some of the weight. My guess is that a supersport wouldn't be too forgiving being extra top-heavy. Plus you would want more torque down low for taking off. A bike like mine has no muscle until 8k rpms. I can't spend too much time on this now cuz I'm at work but do a search on what the suspensions can handle on different models. Good luck, welcome to the forum.
thanks rrichter...i will look into that.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I"ll suggest the 500R for you. its good that you're working toward losing the extra weight and want something to keep your spirits up so you CAN drop those pounds. I respect that in a person.

also, since its likely you'll drop your first bike, buy used rather than new. thatll help you save money you can spend on other goodies like gear, or small aftermarket accessories if you so desired.

·
Registered
45 Posts
500r home diggity. my big bro is heavy set and he rides a suzuki boulivard. very nice bike and he looks right on it. so maybe think about a smaller cruiser if the 500r isn't good for you. my lil bro is also heavy and he's about to start riding a honda rebel 250. i tried to give him my tw 200 but he don't want it. good luck with loosin the wieght and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Knowing your height, I think that you might want to seriously consider a cruiser instead of a Street Bike or a SuperSport. Those SS's are so tight in their ergos it's ridiculous. Yes, the ZZR600 is a little more relaxed than the current ZX-6R or even the 636 but that's because ergos weren't as aggressive as they are now--not by virtue of Kawi trying to design a more comfortable bike.

I sat on a 636 and I was embarrased to find my gut hitting the tank making breathing something of a chore. I'm 5'8" and weigh 185 lbs and my slight gut was enough to make the 636 uncomfortable. I don't know how far forward the lean is on the ZZR600 but I think that you might find uncomfortable.

I say get a nice mid-size Sport Tourer like a used VFR800 or 1st Gen Concourse to get into riding and then when you're down to your desired weight, get the SuperSport of your dreams. Use the bike as an incentive to help you keep your goal in sight.

Best wishes towards reaching your life goals.

·
Taste better comin up!
453 Posts
i was behind a guy maybe around 200lbs on a classic ninja 250 at a railroad crossing waiting for the train to pass. he looked like he was on a moped. the bike looked so small. i thought i hate to see what me and my girlfriend looked like on it. i bet the bike was completly swallowed up

·
07 Black 900 Custom
547 Posts
i think u should give the 500 a try and if u dont feel good on that one, go for the cruiser. Its much lower and you could go for a 900 with no problem to start on.

·
07 Black 900 Custom
547 Posts
i was behind a guy maybe around 200lbs on a classic ninja 250 at a railroad crossing waiting for the train to pass. he looked like he was on a moped. the bike looked so small. i thought i hate to see what me and my girlfriend looked like on it. i bet the bike was completly swallowed up
gator...is that what i think it is coming out of your mouth!? yuck!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
im looking for commute and i really want a sports bike...nothing fast, just something I could really learn real good on and not go crazy on me and kill me.

im kind of short guy, short and fat! 5'4 i think my problem will be on my thighs when i sit on the bike, since im fat with short legs.
I am 5'4" and I ride a 500R and I weigh in at 190. The bike has plenty of power for me to commute. Now with a passenger it is a huge difference in power. I would consider the 650R if I were you. You can have it lowered a little. I can straddle a 650R it is just a little higer than the 500R. You may not even need it lowered once you set on it you will compress the shocks enough to have a manageable seat height.

Carl

·
Registered
545 Posts
200 lbs is not very big. Most men weigh close to 200 lbs at least around the military.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts