Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to tap in power for a winch? Directly to the battery, is there some accessory wires some where? I have one on the way and just wondered how some of you guys wired your Teryx.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I'd use a relay to handle the high current(Amps) or a winch. Wire it so a toggle switch will power the relay's coil, this will greatly reduce the chance of having wires overheat.I'd think 16 gauge wire will work for the relay's coil circuit.

As for wiring the winch motor, I'd think at least 6 gauge will more than handle the load, if this size wire/cable gets hot, then go up to 4 gauge.

Heavy duty welding cable comes in two colors, Red and Black and is sold by the foot at welding supply stores. If they can't terminate the ends for you, try a battry shop as they usually have a dedicated machine to crimp/swage the wire/cable terminal ends for you.

Take careful measurments if possible

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
For the switch power I tapped into the power switch for the horn (its keyed power) ... the rest comes straight from the battery.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the Teryx the only power source I found was the 12 V accessory plug that works with the key, no horn on this machine, The heavy battery cables all came with the kit. Easy install. Since then I also installed a separate dash mounted rocker switch, great for the snow plow.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Mine is the LE version and came with all the goodies except for turn signals ... that horn switch power was an easy splice and its unlikely I will ever be using the horn & winch at the same time.

I don't have a plow ... yet. One would sure have been handy this last winter with all the snow we got.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just finished a Viper 4000 install on 08 Teryx, I have an LE but no horn or wire for it to fuse box. Found however that the acessory circuit has a fuse in the box into which you can splice your red wire for switch power very easily. Putting the bumper back on was a real bear so leave the bolts that mount the plate to the machine very loose till bumper is on.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Did you run the power leads from the battery through some form of conduit? I used that plastic ribbed stuff just to give them some added protection.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I mounted the contactor (relay) in the batt area under left seat so no need to protect those wires, the ones forward to winch go thru a big rubber grommet then under the skid plate. They were easy to route away from moving stuff from there to winch

·
Enjoy the journey!
1,306 Posts
I mounted the contactor (relay) in the batt area under left seat so no need to protect those wires, the ones forward to winch go thru a big rubber grommet then under the skid plate. They were easy to route away from moving stuff from there to winch
I just can't resist this.....

:worthless:​

Inquiring minds just want to know! :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry Jeff,
I continue to struggle with posting pictures. Someone suggested that photo bucket may be the answer but haven't got to that yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts