Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats that formula for figuring windchill? saw it last year here. was a balmy 24 degr here in central florida yesterday and at 70MPH my hands were a little chilled by time i got to work (thin gloves)

·
Registered
297 Posts
The new formula for winds in mph and Fahrenheit temperatures is:

Wind chill temperature = 35.74 + 0.6215T - 35.75V (**0.16) + 0.4275TV(**0.16)

In the formula, V is in the wind speed in statute miles per hour, and T is the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit.

Note: In the formula, ** means the following term is an exponent (i.e. 10**(0.5 ) means 10 to the 0.5 power, or the square root of V), - means to subtract, + means to add. A letter next to a number means to multiply that quantity represented by the letter by the number. The standard rules of algebra apply.

Good luck....my formula...leather up, thick gloves, heated grips, windshield and ride!

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
His Google got the same as my Google ;) All I know is the Nomad's good for the commute even below 20F, while the (wind exposed) Ninja is frightfully painful on the 10 minute commute when the temps drop below 45F :frown:

In the fall of 2001, the U.S. National Weather Service and the Canadian weather replaced the formulas with new ones (one for Fahrenheit temperatures and one for Celsius readings). The new formulas are based on greater scientific knowledge and on experiments that tested how fast the faces of volunteers cooled in a wind tunnel with various combinations of wind and temperature.

The new formula for winds in mph and Fahrenheit temperatures is:

Wind chill temperature = 35.74 + 0.6215T - 35.75V (**0.16) + 0.4275TV(**0.16)

In the formula, V is in the wind speed in statute miles per hour, and T is the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit.

Note: In the formula, ** means the following term is an exponent (i.e. 10**(0.5 ) means 10 to the 0.5 power, or the square root of V), - means to subtract, + means to add. A letter next to a number means to multiply that quantity represented by the letter by the number. The standard rules of algebra apply.

For reference, the old wind chill formula was:

T(wc) = 0.0817(3.71V**0.5 + 5.81 -0.25V)(T - 91.4) + 91.4

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
This will sound dumb, does it get cold in Florida. Always thought it was the warm state that everyone retires to.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The hands on formula here is..%&*^%** its -32 here today and we have a 25k wind so therefore it should be about - uh..hmm..who cares..its frigging cold out!!..lol

·
Registered
966 Posts
Thanks Taz650 that works great

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
This will sound dumb, does it get cold in Florida. Always thought it was the warm state that everyone retires to.
We do get the occasional cold snap. The last two days were perfect examples with evening lows down around 34 degrees and 44 degrees, at least at my house. Other local areas were a little colder or warmer depending on other local factors, e.g. proximity to a lake, etc.

I have seen a couple of snowflakes in the Orlando area, but that was many years back. The average temps are very nice.

Many of us have become weather wimps and don't do a lot of riding when the temp drops like that. There are just too many good days to choose from to ride on the 3 or 4 cold days of the year!

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Use the cheat calculator or the chart, the variables are too complex for the average person to measure. The chart is a good estimate and what the military uses for quick safety calc's for exposure times.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Florida is a big state with many different microclimates....nothern and central florida is much colder because it is affected much more by the continental US...central coastal and southern florida's weather is affected by the water and is moderated. Average lows for coastal and southern Florida are around 50F but a strong cold front can drop the temps into the 30s overnight.....while Orlando dropped to 24F yesterday morning.....Clearwater/St Petersburg had a low of 34F....still really cold but my tomato plants survived! And it warms up quickly......I will be riding this weekend with a forcast of sunny and 75F.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Weather in Oklahoma is predicted by this: Give it about 10 minutes, it'll change! 24 yesterday morning, 34 this morning and is supposed to be close to 42 tomorrow with a high near 70 and Sunday....72 or so...it'll change again by Monday!

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
hey whats that formula for figuring windchill? saw it last year here. was a balmy 24 degr here in central florida yesterday and at 70MPH my hands were a little chilled by time i got to work (thin gloves)
24 is considered "balmy"??? Interesting.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Weather in Oklahoma is predicted by this: Give it about 10 minutes, it'll change! 24 yesterday morning, 34 this morning and is supposed to be close to 42 tomorrow with a high near 70 and Sunday....72 or so...it'll change again by Monday!
sounds like Melbourne , Victoria in Oz ( 4 seasons in a day :biggrin: )
Lucky I'm in subtropical Brisbane,Queensland Oz
Cheers

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We do get the occasional cold snap. The last two days were perfect examples with evening lows down around 34 degrees and 44 degrees, at least at my house. Other local areas were a little colder or warmer depending on other local factors, e.g. proximity to a lake, etc.

I have seen a couple of snowflakes in the Orlando area, but that was many years back. The average temps are very nice.

Many of us have become weather wimps and don't do a lot of riding when the temp drops like that. There are just too many good days to choose from to ride on the 3 or 4 cold days of the year!
yep, i live in Apopka (can see Orlando from here) it was 25 here yesterday AM. agree on the weather wimps. cant believe how many guys didnt ride the last couple days. using the calculator mentioned above -if i'm doin it right- 70 MPH at 25 degrees is somewhere round 0 degrees. was interesting ride for sure and one that I'll remember this summer when it gets HOT and HUMID!!!!!!!!!

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
24 is considered "balmy"??? Interesting.
Absolutely. Trust me on this one. 24 degrees is wonderful. We have been having alot of balmy weather here lately. Was 47 degrees today. Would have loved to have gone for a ride but too much ice on the streets.

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
Absolutely. Trust me on this one. 24 degrees is wonderful. We have been having alot of balmy weather here lately. Was 47 degrees today. Would have loved to have gone for a ride but too much ice on the streets.
I remember days in ND or MN where +24 degrees was nearly 60 degrees warmer than the temperature from a couple days prior. It's all relative.

Lol - it's also why I now live in FL !!! 8) 8) 8)

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Oh Puuuuuuulease, everyone knows OK just rents its weather from TX. But at least you folks finally got running indoor water -unlike that sad backward state that had to steal its name from Kansas and just stuck AR on the front :tongue:

Plato runs for cover :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts