Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come up with a fix for the wind coming under the windshield and hitting you in the face, its more a cold weather issue than in the summer when you need the breeze. It on a 2020 900 Vulcan Classic

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes but try and find them for the bike if they have them it looks like maybe $250 or $400 and do they work good enough.I just seen a set of bags that slide over the crashbars on a 900 that I could have bought but would they work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fact is, nobody can really tell you whether they'll work or not. Different riders may require different solutions. When they go on a bike there's normally a period of moving them around to see what position works best for you. You could probably mount a set of Memphis Shades lowers for around $100US.

·
Super Moderator
10,774 Posts
Speaking from experience, fork lowers make a HUGE difference.

·
Super Moderator
10,774 Posts
Bags or shields on crash bars didn't work for me. Too low leaving a big gap underneath the windshield. For me fork mounted lowers mounted near the bottom of the windshield worked wonderfully. I used the Memphis Shades ones. less than US$100.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do they come with the right hardware for easy mounting or should I call them before ordering, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After doing some looking it looks like there are no lowers for the 900 Vulcan classic LT even National Cycles expensive one won,t fit.

·
Super Moderator
10,774 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
make your own. If you have an engine guard, Mount them there. My experience is they work much better than fork lowers. 4 Adel #20 WDG clamps and some Lexan scraps from a glass shop. The oscillating multi-tool does a decent job cutting them and sanding the edges smooth. Mine are approx 6"x10", notched to clear the tank and angled back slightly at the top. Try to get them up to the height of the bottom of your shield for best results. Those and a 2-layer windshield have eliminated the turbulence for me. They work pretty good with a normal shield. Definitely better than fork lowers did. I also am looking over the shield.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reply I picked up the crash bars and installed them got a really good deal on them, there was a set of flat bags that came with the bars so I attached them also. Today its not supposed to rain so I want to see how much wind the bags block before I go any farther. The problem with this bike is where I sit the wind hits me right in the face on the highway and it bothers my eyes even with tight fitting glasses. I also ordered a pair of Bobster sport goggles so I will see if that makes any difference compared to glasses.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just put your feet up there to see if some deflectors will help.

An MRA X-Creen fixed the turbulence/roar coming over the top of the shield on my Versys (finally,,,after buying several different windshields). I'm using a Madstad RoadGlide shield on the cut-down stock shield on my Tourer. The Memphis Shades DropTop is the same principle... I didn't think the DropTop would be large enough, then after the MRA type fixed the Versys, it might work fine. I now have 2 bikes with engine guard deflectors and a large top layer and the Versys with frame-mounted fairing/shield and a small top layer, All are working.

My theory is the 2 layers help prevent the VonKarman vortex streets from forming. The air coming up between the 2 layers means the 1st layer no longer has a vacuum behind it while the 2nd layer no longer has air hitting it at 90 degrees and trying to spill over the top/around the edges, The engine guard deflectors direct the air coming in from underneath up in front of you into whatever vacuum is created behind the shields.instead of onto you. 75 mph in an open-face helmet now feels like 35 used to and I get more/gentler air on me than I did behind a large shield I had to look through. . Now you look at the newer touring bikes and sport touring and almost all have a rather large gap at the bottom of their shield to do essentially what I've been using since approx 2013.

Note: there are cheap chinese copies of the MRA on amazon or ebay, but, having tried both, they are just that, cheap copies.

FWIW, I spent 11 years looking for a windshield system that actually worked... Hard to condense that experience into a few paragraphs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After driving 250 miles with the desert dawgs attached to the crashbars the wind is still there just a little different, now the new googles made a big big difference much more comfortable not worrying about dirt in my eyes or that wind. Next step is to lift the windshield and see if that changes anything with that vacuum the shield causes. Stay tuned for my next report

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Putting the windshield in the upper position made the wind worse, yesterday I had my dealer check for the Memphis shades and she said they should fit so I ordered them. Also the other day I called another dealer in the next city and he also checked into it and said they would fit the bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I installed the Memphis shades had to make my own hardware so they would fit, they did the trick for me and I,m a happy rider again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts