Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a large F&S windscreen, installed it and realized it was too tall. I'm a shorter guy, I'm 5'7". With the large windscreen, it came up to just above my eyes, mid forehead, and forced me to look thru the edge or the highly distorted upper 3 or 4 inches. I sent it back in trade for the short F&S windscreen. The short comes up to just about the middle of my nose and allows me an uninterrupted view without having to look thru the shield.

The problem now is I can't ride up beyond 55 or 60 without a terrible buffeting that after a short 1 hour ride caused me to have a headache and I dont' think my eyes have stopped shaking. While out, I tried to judge where the flow over the top of the screen goes and it goes right over the top of my helmet, I wear a Shoe R-1000. Several attempts to get my head higher into the windflow didn't increase the buffeting, nor did getting lower. I did notice quite a bit of air coming up from below, I could feel it on my chin. My question is, do ya'll think the excess buffeting is coming from below and will lowers stop this. I can't ride long distance like this and am considering taking the windscreen off it if this continues.

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Definately. When my Nomad was new, I thought the wind was going to tear my head off. My beard was flogging the rest of my face. I bought a set of the Edmonds lowers and was AMAZED at the difference. The wind is gone!! The only downside is the 'wind noise' from the front end. Maybe that was there before, just couldn't hear it with that blast coming up through the driver zone. :roll:

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I just ordered lowers today. I'll be curious to see what kind of difference they make.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I think you'll find that the lowers give you so much needed protection, and that they are a welcome addition to your ride. I would not get rid of mine.

BTW, have you tried to raise or lower your shield? The F&S screen has about 3 inches of adjustment on it.

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping the wind was coming from below. I've not tried to adjust Ken, it doesn't look like there is an adjustment on both windscreens I've tried. I'll take a closer look. The mounting system for my 1500 seems to be pretty static.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm considering going wihout a windshield because I like the feeling without it. The wind with a fullface helmet is bearable up to about 90mph, but the buffeting above 70mph bothers me a lot. Has anyone tried lowers without a windshield ?

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too like the feel of the wind without the windshield, however I don't like the wind too much over 60 so I added the screen. To me, long trips down the I-5 corridore wears me out, mostly because the wind pounding off my chest tires me. Not to mention that with winter setting in, or coming soon, depending on where you live, those few days of opportunity will be made better when its 40 degrees outside and the wind isn't on you full up.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I put the lowers on my bike a month ago and the collar on my coat does not beat the hell out of my chin any more, they HELP a great deal

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not sure what your windscreen looks like, Spok, but the one that comes on the Nomad adjusts like Ken said. There is also a separate piece of plastic that can be adjusted to keep it close to the headlight bucket, so raising the screen does not let a bunch of air in there. When ordering the Edmonds lowers you need to tell him what level the windshield will be so the lowers can meet the screen at the proper height. Bottom line, THEY WORK!!!!! :wink:

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My windscreen is a F&S for the 1500. The mounting points on the screen do not allow adjustment, the attachment points on the bike are fixed. This windscreen and the large windscreen do not allow any adjustment. The Nomad must have a different system. I am going to order the lowers based on reading I did lastnight and the comments from all of you.

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered F&S lowers today from Beartooth. I have my fingers crossed this fixes the problem.

·
Registered
271 Posts
lowers

I just ordered a set from Moxy, will post my results

Dave

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
spok said:
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping the wind was coming from below. I've not tried to adjust Ken, it doesn't look like there is an adjustment on both windscreens I've tried. I'll take a closer look. The mounting system for my 1500 seems to be pretty static.

While riding at speed, hold your left arm across your chest. If the buffeting is reduced, then lowers will help.

bluestringer

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats exactly what I did out on my ride today Bluestringer. I was still a bit sceptical about how much difference it was going to make so I ran several tests. Again I checked the over-the-top flow by sitting higher and lower. I got behind the windscreen and sat far forward. Then I sat normally and tried to block the wind with my left arm, what a difference.

Now I can't wait till the lowers arrive!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lowers>?

jukief said:
I just ordered lowers today. I'll be curious to see what kind of difference they make.
What are lowers?, thanks, Doc, my other website, check it out http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=81 I have a 2003 Cobra, screename Doc2003Cobra, thanks in advance, Doc. p.s. this is the best site I have found for us few numbers, no disrespect but let me know any other forems around, thanks, Doc. :lol:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Lowers are little windscreens that mount below your windshield to keep airflow from coming up from below your windsheild and smacking you in the face. If your windsheild makes you feel like a bobble doll, then you need lowers.

Phatboy

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Spok.

I purchased new lowers from Edmunds for my Nomad a week after I
got my bike. Solved the head buffet problem. The larger lowers also helps
to reduce some of the road debris that gets thrown up from the tires.
When I got caught in some light rain the windshield kept me pretty dry, my boots were waterproof, and the lowers definitely kept my pants legs dryer.

Great Plus to your Bike!

DfgPilot

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Phatboy said:
If your windsheild makes you feel like a bobble doll, then you need lowers.

Phatboy
That is the most accurate description of why I need lowers!

·
37,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Brown truck came today with my lowers. It should've only take 10 minutes to install but one of the 4mm allen head bolts stripped out while I was trying to take it out. It required that I get out the old dremmel tool and grind a slot into it so I could use a flat head screwdriver to get it out.

I did notice a dropoff in the buffeting but there is still some there at 75 mph, if I lean forward just a tad bit more it gets even better. It is nowhere near as bad as it had been in the past I'd even say its tollerable, so I'd say it was a worthwhile upgrade. They look good too!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Windscreens. Ya love 'em and you hate 'em. I had several bikes with different kinds of screens and I always got the buffeting, even with a set of lowers, but the lowers do help. I don't have a screen for my 800A yet, but on my last bike I went with just one of these little flyscreens. My thinking was that I needed to get the wind off my chest to eliminate the fatique but let the air flow freely around the helmet. I worked pretty darn good. I don't think you need to go a low as the 8 inch high flyscreen I had , but I think the secret is to get the top of the screen a lot lower than the normal prescribe measurement - top of the windshield should be just below the eyes. I think the shape of the shield matters too. I usually ordered sport shields from Memphis Shades. They have a more of a pyramid shape with the top chopped off so the sides of the screen angle in toward the top starting right from the bottom. The standard type of screen sort of goes straight up on the sides and then rounds in to get to the top. The Memphis Shades are quite a bit less expensive too. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts