Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my vn900 custom 7 weeks now and I've been trying to get used to the buffetting I get from the Kawasaki touring screen I had fitted from new. The screen has 19" height above the cutout and SHOULD be o.k., but it's total crap. My wife in particular gets a hell of a buffetting when on the pillion and it makes the ride the noisiest and least pleasant than on any bike I've had in the past 30 years. Yesterday I took the screen off and at speeds below 60 it's waaay better. Only at higher speeds do you get any benefits from having the screen.
from this forum it looks like memphis Shades with lowers is the way to go. But this is the U.K. and naff all is available here! The ones that look like they might do the job and which and I can get hold of are National Cycle Switchblade 2up from Custom Cruisers. Does anyone have any experience of these - or know of any screen they can recommend for two-up riding?

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
i'd highly recommend Meancycles.com for ordering stuff into the UK. It's where i got most of my parts.
Speak to JC there who runs it, regarding shipping prices to the UK.

but do you really need the 'screen??? :biggrin:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve. My main problem with importing from the states is with British import duty. I found a place stateside which was selling the Mustang seat for less than 50% the U.K. price. But add shipping, import tax and VAT the final total was dearer than the u.k. suppliers. Somethings - like the front pulley - I'll have to buy direct, but if I can find a screen locally that'll do the job then I'd prefer to do that than to pay the taxman for the priviledge!

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
true.
Although I found that even with import duties i still saved a nice amount of money over buying the same product here.

But i guess the exchange rate ain't what is was... :(

Can't offer any help re: windshield.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
...The screen has 19" height above the cutout and SHOULD be o.k., but it's total crap. My wife in particular gets a hell of a buffetting when on the pillion and it makes the ride the noisiest and least pleasant than on any bike I've had in the past 30 years. Yesterday I took the screen off and at speeds below 60 it's waaay better. Only at higher speeds do you get any benefits from having the screen.
from this forum it looks like memphis Shades with lowers is the way to go...
Do you have the OEM lowers as well? I have heard that people with the OEM screen, who add the lowers on afterwards, notice a big reduction in overall buffeting.

Do you wear a FF helmet and ear plugs?

I have both the OEM windscreen and the lowers and I have been fine up to "Autobahn" speeds, even two up. My other bike is a naked bike, so I probably don't notice the wind as much on the VN.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the same problem when my wife is on the back but I think the OEM lowers will help. I don't have a screen (although will have to put one on for a ride I'm planning down to the South of France) as I think it really spoils the look of the Custom but she says that it's the buffeting around her legs that makes it uncomfortable. As the lowers are clear perspex they should'nt look to o ugly so for less than £100 I'm going to give them a try.

·
Registered
93 Posts
p.s I'm also going to get the OEM Cafe screen which I think will a) not be too expensive b) take the worst of the wind pressure of my chest and c) look OK. I'd like something that is detachable but I agree that with the $ rate and import duties it's a lot of money for the rare times that I really need it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Thanks Steve. My main problem with importing from the states is with British import duty. I found a place stateside which was selling the Mustang seat for less than 50% the U.K. price. But add shipping, import tax and VAT the final total was dearer than the u.k. suppliers. Somethings - like the front pulley - I'll have to buy direct, but if I can find a screen locally that'll do the job then I'd prefer to do that than to pay the taxman for the priviledge!
Do what I do have stuff shipped to a friends address in the US then get them to send it onto you marked gift, no import duties. Also I find a lot of US suppliers will do that anyway if you ask. I just ordered some cloths for a birthday present and without asking the store sent them marked gift, so no duty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for al the replies so far. Certainly given me something to think about. The oem screen I have currently fitted is this one:

Touring Screen

It looks good on the Custom but the top of the screen only reaches to about half way up my chest (though I'm only 5' 9"). It very effectively directs all the air from the front of the bike and blasts it at my upper torso and FF helmet so my head and shoulders feel as if the hand of God is trying to tug me off the bike. My wife feels exactly the same instability. That's why it's better with no screen - on a naked bike it's just normal air pressure pressing evenly against the body.
There's another 'touring' screen made by Kawasaki and this is what I think a lot of you might have.
G17 Windscreen
When I bought the bike the dealer told me this screen wouldn't fit the Custom - the mounting brackets were for the Classic only. Does anyone know if he was correct? Will this screen fit and if so, does it cure the problem?
Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts