Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all the helpful tips from the group (as usual) I was able to make a simple bracket and mount a standard windshield bag. No additional hardware needed beyond a thin piece of aluminum, small ss bolt, nut and washers. All the original windshield hardware was reused "as is". The bag does not have to bend to fit the curve of the shield. The ends of the bag are almost 1/2 inch from the windshield so no rubbing will occur.

Now I can get all that pesky pocket stuff in a more easily accessible place!!!!

·
Shifted into first gear
131 Posts
Thanks to all the helpful tips from the group (as usual) I was able to make a simple bracket and mount a standard windshield bag. No additional hardware needed beyond a thin piece of aluminum, small ss bolt, nut and washers. All the original windshield hardware was reused "as is". The bag does not have to bend to fit the curve of the shield. The ends of the bag are almost 1/2 inch from the windshield so no rubbing will occur.

Now I can get all that pesky pocket stuff in a more easily accessible place!!!!

I mounted one using the top bolts on the side sissy bar seat mount above the license plate and used 1" wide-1/8" thick steel stock strip (Ace Hdwe) bent to appx 11" long with 21/2" ends. Drilled couple holes and painted black.
Since bag was 10" long worked well and filled in that area.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Looks nice.....

You did good! I would be lost without a windshield bag, mine is always full of stuff.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
BassAddict,

Good job! A fine example of good ol' American ingenuity at work: K.I.S.S.

What windshield bag did you use? Looks good. Does it interfere with the handlebars at all; at full turn?

Thanks,
Daryl:wink:

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BassAddict,

Good job! A fine example of good ol' American ingenuity at work: K.I.S.S.

What windshield bag did you use? Looks good. Does it interfere with the handlebars at all; at full turn?

Thanks,
Daryl:wink:
The bag came from Eagle Leather. Their product code and description are "CC781P Windsheild Bag/Piping". The back of the bag has a piece of metal bracket for backing and a single mount point via a 1/4" hole. It measures 10"x5"x3" and it is very well constructed of heavy leather. I think it was about $55 w/o shipping charges. It doesn't touch any part of the bike during turns when mounted like this.

I couldn't find the aluminum I needed at Home Depot or Lowes, but was able to find it at Tractor Supply. The aluminum is 1/16"x3/4" and comes in 4 foot lenghts. I cut a 7" piece to make the mounting bracket. After drilling 3 1/4" holes - one in the middle and one at each end 1/2" in - I used a crescent wrench (I don't have a vise) to make the bends. I bent the center area to create a 2" mounting surface to match the bracket on the back of the bag. I bent the ends to create 1" mounting tabs. Then I assembled and attached to the windshield. The hardware on the windshield is plenty long for this thickness of aluminum. The assembly is pretty strong when complete.

Hope this helps! :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts