Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, the stock windshield on the 06 VN900 classic LT is way to tall! I like to look over the windshield not through it. And, I'm 5'9"!

I mistakenly (operative word here!LOL) a Memphasis 17". That was to low even raised to it's max. I cannot find anyone to cut down the stock windshield. So, I'm looking for a 19" detachable one.

Any ideas? suggestions? recommendations?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I cut 4.5 inches off my stock shield and love it now. Its not very hard to do I can write out the basics if that will help. Start to finish it took me maybe an hour. If you have or can barrow a good saber saw and know how to use masking tape, poster board, sandpaper and have even basic handyman skills. You can cut down your current shield.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
There is a thread on the forum somewhere with pictures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cut 4.5 inches off my stock shield and love it now. Its not very hard to do I can write out the basics if that will help. Start to finish it took me maybe an hour. If you have or can barrow a good saber saw and know how to use masking tape, poster board, sandpaper and have even basic handyman skills. You can cut down your current shield.
Hi Ed, that would be great! Between my mechanic friend and me, we should be able to do it with your steps. Thank you so much! My offline email is [email protected]

·
Registered
71 Posts
okay, the stock windshield on the 06 VN900 classic LT is way to tall! I like to look over the windshield not through it. And, I'm 5'9"!

I mistakenly (operative word here!LOL) a Memphasis 17". That was to low even raised to it's max. . So, I'm looking for a 19" detachable one.

Any ideas? suggestions? recommendations?
I'm 5'8" and I've got a Memphis Shades Fats 17" and its right at eye level when tilted back..... right above eye level when all the way forward on the tilt--but you may have a longer torso than I do.

If you have all the hardware for the 17" MS W/S, you can just replace the shield only; they make replacements that are $60-75 on ebay:memphis shades 19 replacement items - Get great deals on eBay Motors items on eBay.com!

And then you could recoup by selling the 17" shield portion and your other KAW shield.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I installed an 18" windshield from Cee Bailey's on the stock frame. It cost me about $100. They had instructions on the site for measuring for the correct windshield size. Just one more option and you always have the original windshield if something happens.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Ed, that would be great! Between my mechanic friend and me, we should be able to do it with your steps. Thank you so much! My offline email is [email protected]
Its really an easy job. Basic tools masking tape, tape measure, scissors, file, posterboard, fineline marker, saber saw with a fine tooth hollow ground blade (12-14 teeth per inch) various grits of sand paper.

To start you need to find what is your height on the shield. You may need help on this step I did it by myself. Take a length of tape and
put it inside the shield from the top down say 6 inches or so. While sitting on your ride flat footed and upright in your normal riding position.
Measure from the floor to the height of the tip of your nose. Proper setting would be between the tip of your nose and your upper lip. Measure and mark the tape at same point on the inside of the shield. Go out for a short ride taking note of your mark on the tape. You should be able to raise a bit to see more road or duck down a bit to be behind the shield. Adjust to what seems to be the best for you.

Now you have the perfect mark for your body type. Measure this mark from the shield. Tape the shield from top to about 8-10 inches below the mark inside and out. since this is a 900 with a stock shield you can use the bracket on the front as a level point. Using your poster board
and 2 level points on the bracket (I used the outside bolts) tape the posterboard to the shield. Mark the edge from side to side around the top. Cut top of poster to make your pattern. Using the measurement from top to the inside mark from earlier remove that amount from bottom of poster board. Tape the poster to the shield again. Mark the taped shield and remove the pattern. Tape the bottom of the sabersaw for extra protectiion. Using the saw with the fine blade practice cutting some of the shield above the planned cut to get a feel of how much pressure you can use and how fast you can cut with good control of the cut. Cut off the shield. Use the file to level out any high or low spots. Use sandpaper to round out and smooth the edges I started with 60 grit and stopped with 600 grit. I also rounded the area where the bottom of the pattern and the original side met. It was just a bit off of round and kind of looked strange like a point sticking out.
Hope this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts