Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to pick up a 2003 Mean Streak (to save a couple grand over the 2004). I've been riding a 2000 Honda Sabre 1100 with a windshield and bags for a couple of years now. It's a great bike, but I want something a bit bigger.

I put in a couple of hundred miles a day, several times a week. I know the windshield doesn't look the best on the Mean Streak, but it's necessary when you ride as much as I do.

Any suggestions for a good windshield for the Meanie? I have a National Cycles heavy duty tall shield (20" tall, 22" wide) on the Sabre now and it's just about perfect. I'd rather go with a one piece shield, but I've heard bad things about the Memphis Shades windshields.

I have the NC on my Sabre set so that I can just see over the top of it.

Any suggestions for a good windshield that won't look too bad on the Meanie?

Thanks.

Blackwood

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

that's a tuff one black- NC and memphis are the only ones i've ever seen on a meanie
sorry i can't help you out :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered the NS for it. It'll be in later in the week. I'll post later on how it looks/fits/works on the Meanie.

Oh yeah, I bought an '03 1500 last night for $10,000 out the door. Not a bad price. I'm happy with it. I pick the bike up at lunch today...

Blackwood

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i know the ND is a good stout shield-prolly be allright :wink:

whew :shock: -i guess everthing in CA is expensive :lol: i can get a 1500classic
here for almost 2k less but it is a great bike :wink:

congrats and ride safe!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you do not like the fit and look of the shield that you purchased, you may want to look at the WindVest line. They have top quality hardware and are easy to removed. They are designed with an almost flat bottom that would rest just above the triple tree. This leaves the gages out in front of the shield but you still have a good view. The angle of the shield follows the angle of the forks maintaining the same basic lines of that part of the bike. This in my eyes is as good as a shield can look on the Meanie. Any of the other shields that I have seen cover the gages which kind of limits the attitude of the shield placing it a little farther forward than you would like. Take a look at www.windvest.com and see what you think. They do not show your bike with one installed but you can get a good idea.

I have a '04 that I am getting an order together for and am planning on one of these unless I find another one that looks good.

Any pics of yours or comments on what you have found would be appreciated.

Ride On!

Ken

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have a memphis shades for my meanstreak. It measures 18w by 16t.
It looks very similar to the stock Kawa shield but about half the cost.
You are correct in saying shields don't look good on the streak, but I
have the quick release mounts and when I travel I take it off and leave
it in the hotel room or wherever I'm staying.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Usually when you order a shield the mounts are sold separately the reason for this is then they can make the same shield but change the mounts to fit each bike.

As far as the quick release it is four allen bolts that you remove then the shield comes off. I changed my bolts to thumb bolts so I don't need a allen wrench.

As far as being used with other shields, maybe with other shields from the same manufacturer but probably not with other brands.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts