Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have their windshield set up so the look through it as opposed to over it? I'm still getting some helmet buffeting over 60 mph and wanted to see if anyone used a tall shield and had no buffeting I already have the large lowers which helped allot. I'm going to try tilting my shield back like the Gadget site shows and see what happen.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I read on another thread here saying you wanted to be able to just see above it, so it stops at your nose or so basically. They said it was so you could still see over it if it was raining and all. Made sense when I read it :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I decided to look look through a tall shield with the hope of minimizing buffeting and wind fatigue, so I went with the 21" Memphis Fats. The couple of times I've been caught in the rain haven't been a big issue. Trying to decide whether to look over or through made my windshield purchase very difficult, but was ultimately based on my preferences and riding style. In the end, I went against prevailing forum wisdom and have been happy with my decision of looking through my windshield...

·
V2K Classic
242 Posts
I decided to look look through a tall shield with the hope of minimizing buffeting and wind fatigue, so I went with the 21" Memphis Fats. The couple of times I've been caught in the rain haven't been a big issue. Trying to decide whether to look over or through made my windshield purchase very difficult, but was ultimately based on my preferences and riding style. In the end, I went against prevailing forum wisdom and have been happy with my decision of looking through my windshield...
Same for me and I'm completely satisfied with it the way it is. But I can sit up straight and look over it if I have to. I like the low amount of buffeting I get with it adjusted that way and moderate rain is no problem.:-D

·
Registered
441 Posts
I agree that you should look just over the windshield. When that sucker gets foggy it's bad, but when it has water drops on it and the headlights hit it at night... you HAVE to look over it to see! (And if you have water on your face shield it's even worse!) Night riding in the rain when the headlghts of oncoming cars hit you is as close as you'll get to riding blind!

I also know that when you look JUST over the windhshield the wind goes over your helmet... raising the windshield will not help! Helmet buffeting like you're descrbing almost always comes from UNDER the windshield. The way to test it is to put your left arm across your chest, palm down, forearm right across your chest. Betcha ten bucks the buffeting stops instantly!

Ride safe!

Dep

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try that
I know when I duck down and inch or so it stops and if I lean closer to the shield it stops and if I put my hand up near my forehead I can feel the air hitting me about there

·
Live to Ride
185 Posts
Tall Windshield

My windshield is too high for me to look over it. That is how the Vulcan 2000 Classic LT is set up from the factory............no adjustments. I have no problem with wind at any speed. The windshield did fog up on me once and it was dangerous. I wish it were a little shorter. I have thought about cutting it down but am afraid to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
[QUOTEI also know that when you look JUST over the windhshield the wind goes over your helmet... raising the windshield will not help! Helmet buffeting like you're descrbing almost always comes from UNDER the windshield. The way to test it is to put your left arm across your chest, palm down, forearm right across your chest. Betcha ten bucks the buffeting stops instantly!
][/QUOTE]
I am a new rider and I just bought my first bike last year 07 vulcan LT 2000 and that is the only problem that i have with this bike. How do I get rid of this wind? I have installed lowers and although it is better there is still a lot of wind coming up my face and into my helmet. I love riding my bike but having wind force fed up my nose is NOT very enjoyable. Please help out
Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
+100% for me as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did the arm across the chest test and didn't see any difference I did the tilt that the gadget page showed and it helped. I'm going to get a clearview windshield before spring the 2 inch wider with recurve and I think that will help a lot. I use rainx and never have any fogging and it sheds the rain just fine
Clearview Shields - for the best ride you'll ever see

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have the 21" Memphis Fats and most of the time I look through the shield. If I want to look over it all I have to do is quit slouching. :wink:

I suggest you play with the angle a bit, I have better luck leaning mine forward, and also look into getting some lowers. You might be surprised at how much buffeting you're getting from wind coming up rather than over.

HTH...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.