Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my car Christmas night returning home via interstate and out of nowhere an owl or hawk smashed into my windshield. No damage to the car, but I'm sure the bird wasn't feeling too well. Friend of mine told me once he was running down the interstate on his bike and the same thing happened. I believe he was able to hold on. As hard as the bird hit my windshield it seems like it would knock you right off the seat. Anyone had this experience? I saw it right before it hit the windshield, so you'd probably have just enough time to tighten up and duck.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Never had a bird he me on the bike. Good thing, too, I don't have a windshield!
In the car, it's happened a couple of times. Both times it was a dove, and about this time of year, as I remember. At least, it was cool weather.
A guy was telling me he got hit in the chest by a sea gull on a trip to Key West, once. He was going across a bridge, and the bird was riding the air currents around the bridge. Lucky he was only doing 15 or 20 mph. He said he was sore for a couple of days afterward, and yes, there was no time to do more than tighten up. The bird was "just there" he said.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've had 2 owls on 2 different occasions fly into my truck lights. I think they may have been chasing something and got distracted by the bright lights. I sure wouldn't want to experiance it on my bike Thats for sure.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
I've been hit by a Red tailed hawk, a barn owl, and a Sand Crane (they stand 4 foot tall). All in my cages, couldn't imagine hitting one on my bike.

:D
Aif

·
Registered
134 Posts
The scariest moment on my bike this year, ,was a chilly afternoon this fall. When a pheasant flew out of the ditch on the left side of the road and passed inches, and I mean inches, from my windshield! My wife was on the back and didn't see it it till it was past us. I'm sure it would have spilled us because we were probably going 70 mph and it came at us at a 90 degree angle. I've had deer come out in front of me that didn't shake me up as much as that stupid pheasant did. As with most run ins with wildlife, it happened so fast I didn't have time to react. It was one of those moments where you stop and go WHHEEEEEWWW, then go home and change your underwear.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I was riding along a city street with my son on the back. Two birds were fighting in mid air and so preoccupied with each other that they didn't pay attention until they bounced off my front shield!

·
Registered
837 Posts
When I was in high school my girlfriend hit a Bat at night. I think it must have been raining as well I'm 43 years old now and just remember it was stuck on the windshield wiper. I had to remove it from the wiper/glass for her. It was small never heard of anyone else ever hitting a bat before.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Before I got the shield I was hit by a small bird at maybe 45-50 while cruising around in the middle of nowhere. It came from the left and hit me in the left side of my chest, kind of bounced off, and then brushed my face as it went by. I remember how soft it felt on my face. The impact made me jump, but didn’t have much force behind it, kind of felt like being hit with a balled up dish rag. I had on a light denim jacket at the time.

On the other hand… I have hit a very large vulture in a truck, smashed the windshield!!! Every time I see a group of vultures around a piece of carrion I honk my horn way in advance, they are slow to get out of the way.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I was riding my 650 Yamaha )when I still had it) and hit a partridge in my right shoulder doing 55mph. I ducked my head quick enough to miss the second bird. The one I hit went up in the air out of my sight but I did see a plume of feathers in my rear view mirror.

On another ride a pheasant came in hot from my left and met my left floorboard and his head was stuck between the front of the floorboard as his body thrashed around on the road behind me. A vehicle ran over his body as I manuvered to remove his head from the floorboard. He never had a chance!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Last year there was a guy who was hit by a seagull coming from Ocean Shores (a local tourist area) it actually stuck in him and broke its neck... they cut off the head and took him to the hosp to xray him prior to removing the beak in case it nicked the heart or something... a deputy told my wife and I about it the next day...the rider did wreck his bike but was really not hurt badly!!!

·
2001 Vulcan 800 \m/
1,661 Posts

·
Off THE KICKSTAND
123 Posts
I had one of those big green and yellow grasshoppers ( the kind that go crunch when ya step on em ) cruise into my neck during harvest one year out here in sw kansas while on my 454 kawasaki, he was well fed and made a heck of a mess, had to go to the hospital to get those spinney barbed fishhook legs removed from my neck.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Buddy of mine was riding and noticed a large group of large birds in a field near the roadway. Sure as he got near them, they decided to take off. One hit the shield of his HD, the bird was large enough it folded his shield backwards, didn't break it, but spooked him pretty good.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This past summer me and the wife were riding out in the country with a few other bikes and 2 turkeys flew out of the ditch coming right at us. The wing of the first turkey hit the top of my helmet. It scared the crap out of me. The second turkey just missed the bike behind us. If that turkey hit us direct I probably would not be here today.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Several times riding the back roads behind my Dad's Harley he will scare up a bird or two and even a lose Herford bull right into my path. I have been luck and missed all of them thus far.

·
ILBTS
1,248 Posts
I almost got hit, or hit, a turkey vulture!!
it was sitting on the left side on the shoulder, as I approached, it took off, right in front of me. scared the c r a p outta me!! turkey vultures are HUGE!!
I actually had to duck, or it probably would have hit me.
buddie of mine was right behind me, said it reminded him of Travolta getting hit by the crow in Wild Hogs, was laughing his arse off! I told him, "this turkey vulture was just a TAD bigger!!" he said he knew it would have been disasterous to hit it, but said it still looked funny from behind.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts