Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone, I'm new to the forum and actually this is the first forum I've ever joined so let me know if I get some of the protocols wrong here, I welcome the advice.
I'm looking for some help on windshield choices for my bike. I have a 2006 vulcan 1500 and would like to outfit it with a kawasaki stock windshield. My old bike is a 2006 vulcan 900 with the stock windshield, is it possible to transfer the shield from the 900 to the 1500 by ordering a different bracket? It doesn't look like it would fit with the hardware that came for the 900 Vulcan.
One last question as I want to understand the different types of windshields out there. Fire and steel is a kawasaki brand of accessories but it isn't the same as the stock windshields that come with the bike, correct? I noticed that the fire and steel windshield hardware looks quite different than the stock windshield that came with my Vulcan 900 which I like the looks of very much.

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
I don't believe they are interchangable and also believe that the kits from F&S are different in themselves as to whether you have a lightbar or not.

I have never owned a 900 (and I'm sure there are giys here that may have owned both a 900 and a 1500 tho). I like the F&S on my 05 1500, not too big and awkward looking like the Nomads I've seen and not too small to not be able to accomplish the job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bobg, you wouldn't by chance have a picture of what the F&S looks like on your 1500. Sounds like your satisfied with the performance so it very well could be the direction I will go if I can't use my old one from the 900cc.
Thanks for the feed back.

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Have you considered a Mephis Fats? We bought a 21" with quick detach hardware for Crysti's 900 and it works wonderfully. Only paid $250 new for it. There's a site I have a link to at work I can give you when I return tomorrow if you'd like. I bought the shield at the local dealer, using the site as a comparison shop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hadn't considered a Memphis Fats but certainly is another option now, I'll google it and If I have any problems I'll get back to you about the link. You mentioned quick disconnect hardware, does it work well?? I would like to be able to remove and replace the shield quickly.

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
The quick detach is incredibly nice to have. Crysti and I ride without shields 95% of the time. But, longer trips or when the wind is really bad, we'll put them on our scoots to make it more comfortable. Pretty easy installation (maybe an hour if you really take your time). It latches on very securely and takes all over five seconds to remove it...if that long.

You'll need to contact them for shipping cost to get your final numbers, but I have yet to find someone with better numbers for Memphis shields.

Memphis Shades Windscreens for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Motorcycles

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
We had a Memphis Fats on our 1500, and didn't like it much. It was so thin it literally flapped in the wind and the mounting brackets completely covered up some nice factory chrome.

We have a F/S on there now, the shorter model. Here's a pic:

The windshield bag mount is homemade, there was not enough space betweeen the shield and risers for the bag to sit.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
I have a Memphis Fats on the 900. It is OK, but the quick mounting hardware is aluminum, really sticks out without the shield mounted to the bike, and started to discolor fast. The shield itself has been a good investment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has anyone installed the National Cycle Switchblade system on a 2006 Vulcan 1500. I`ve been researching it and some sites say it will work and others don`t list my bike as being able to install it?

Brad

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
There is no switchblade available for the 1500. If there were, that would be on ours no question. They do make if for the 1600, that's what I have on mine.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Dan, are you saying that the switchblade for the 1600 will fit on the 1500 or you have a 1600 with the switchblade on it??

Brad
I'm saying I have a 1600 with the switchblade, and that there is no kit for the 1500. The mounts are different so I can't see how the 1600 would work on the 1500.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.