Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever bought one of the "classic" windshields off of ebay that go for around $50 or so? They are everywhere and I wanted one for seldom use for right now. Any suggestion?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to install some apes and only really want the windshield when on a long trip. That's the reason I don't want to spend a lot of money on one, but don't really want junk either. Can I have the best of both worlds?:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will be for minimal use, only for trips and such. Kind of why I don't want to spend alot of money on one. I've blown a whole lot more on single use stuff in my day! Might have to try one.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I understand how you feel. I like a full windshield and I like no windshield. I was thinking along the same lines as you............have a quickly removable windshield for when you want to ride in the open air. Now, you may be different, but my only complaint, when I ride at speed with apes, was the wind blast on my chest. My complaint, when riding with a full shield, was that I didn't care for the look and I could not have my bars in the forward position that I wanted, because of the shield. As mention above, a bar mounted shield would have filled the bill. I really didn't want something removable, because I sometimes ride 100 miles of freeway to get to a place that I want to ride without a windshield...........that was my problem. I compromised and just went to a short shield. I don't know the dimensions, but you can see it on my avatar pic. It keeps the wind off my chest at freeway speed, but still gives me the open air that I like. The best thing is that it stays on the bike, doesn't look at that bad and it works for me.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I understand how you feel. I like a full windshield and I like no windshield. I was thinking along the same lines as you............have a quickly removable windshield for when you want to ride in the open air. Now, you may be different, but my only complaint, when I ride at speed with apes, was the wind blast on my chest. My complaint, when riding with a full shield, was that I didn't care for the look and I could not have my bars in the forward position that I wanted, because of the shield. As mention above, a bar mounted shield would have filled the bill. I really didn't want something removable, because I sometimes ride 100 miles of freeway to get to a place that I want to ride without a windshield...........that was my problem. I compromised and just went to a short shield. I don't know the dimensions, but you can see it on my avatar pic. It keeps the wind off my chest at freeway speed, but still gives me the open air that I like. The best thing is that it stays on the bike, doesn't look at that bad and it works for me.
I'm with you on this one.
I recently installed some mini-apes and I swore up & down that I would not install a shield. Well call me a wuss cus I did the unimaginable.
Had a handlebar mount shield laying around but it was huge so I did the next big thing and cut her down. LOL Looks half a$$ decent.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'm with you on this one.
I recently installed some mini-apes and I swore up & down that I would not install a shield. Well call me a wuss cus I did the unimaginable.
Had a handlebar mount shield laying around but it was huge so I did the next big thing and cut her down. LOL Looks half a$$ decent.
That exactly what I was going to do, because I had a full shield that came with the bike. Instead, I sold it to a friend and used the money to buy a used mini shield. I bought the mini with the money from the full.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Do you have any close up pics? What brand? origin? Sorry for the questions, just want to be informed before I buy.
I thought that I had some pics, but I couldn't find them. I will take some tomorrow and post them if it's not raining. Al I know is that it is a Boulevard Cruiser originally for a Honda. I adapted it to my kawi, but I'm sure they make them make/model specific.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
That exactly what I was going to do, because I had a full shield that came with the bike. Instead, I sold it to a friend and used the money to buy a used mini shield. I bought the mini with the money from the full.
That'll work. Getting wind blasted on the chest while trying to hang on the apes and the darn helmet choking you into submission ain't cool.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
That'll work. Getting wind blasted on the chest while trying to hang on the apes and the darn helmet choking you into submission ain't cool.
No kidding.......although I have never had the helmet choking thing with either my half or full helmet. Without a full shield, I feel better wearing a fullface on the freeway. I like my teeth.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.