Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Dazed and confuzed
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

To quote an H-D dealer I talked to - "It's the windshield for folks who don't really want a windshield."

Easy to install - less than 10 min...after that it's removable/re-mountable in about 1 min.
IMHO; it compliments the looks of the bike. Perfect for the Custom.
After a bit of tweaking the rake; works well.
A bit spendy; but a great product - plus WindVest has the best customer service I've ever received; bar none.

·
Dazed and confuzed
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you purchase it at a HD dealer ? Looks great.
A buddy of mine who is customizing his 01 Sportster, might be interested in this.
I bought directly from WindVest - as a result of their fantastic customer service; even before the sale.

I tried to talk to some dealers before I decided on any windshield; MS, National or whatever. Most can order; but very few stock any. The H-D dealer was the only one I contacted during my research who had any familiarity the WindVest. Said he sold lots of them - both he and his customers were very impressed. Most of the online vendors I saw are H-D related; and nearly all of the chatter is on H-D forums.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Mine is probably lower than your lowest setting. The one I have is a lot shorter to begin with, but still does what I want and that is keeping the wind off your chest.

·
Hoof Hearted?
717 Posts
Hey Gort,

How is the buffeting @ 70+? I really like the looks of the shield and, like you, I wear a FF helmet so would be interested in your evaluation.

Oh, and BTW, I'm rather partial to ruby 9 customs myself...8)

·
Dazed and confuzed
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Gort,

How is the buffeting @ 70+? I really like the looks of the shield and, like you, I wear a FF helmet so would be interested in your evaluation.

Oh, and BTW, I'm rather partial to ruby 9 customs myself...8)
It took a bit of tweaking to get the rake angle just right - the handlebar clamps allow a wide range of tilt. I'm just under 5'11" and I noticed more of a "burble" of wind at top/sides of my helmet - not really buffeting. It smoothes out as speed increases.

You have VERY good taste; if I do say so myself ... :biggrin:

·
Hoof Hearted?
717 Posts
Excellent...I'm thinking that the "kickout" (for lack of a better term) of the shield at the top may enhance smoother airflow...at least divert it more so that it travels around the helmet better.

I currently have an MS Classic Deuce but this WindVest really intrigues me. I'd enjoy any other additional comments you might have after riding with it a while.

·
Dazed and confuzed
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excellent...I'm thinking that the "kickout" (for lack of a better term) of the shield at the top may enhance smoother airflow...at least divert it more so that it travels around the helmet better.

I currently have an MS Classic Deuce but this WindVest really intrigues me. I'd enjoy any other additional comments you might have after riding with it a while.
They call in a "integrated deflector" - I call it a flare - but whatever; it does exactly what you said.

I looked long and hard at all the windshield options - bugged the heck out some of the forum members asking tons of questions. I kept coming back to the WindVest even though it's kinda expensive. I wanted an easily removable shield that looks good on the Custom. Already received some comments about how good it looks.

As I said before; I purchased directly from the because of their 100% satisfaction guarantee. I'm glad I did; they worked with me before and after the sale - even shipped me a different size to try out 'til we got it just right.

·
Dazed and confuzed
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info.

One other question...Is that the 14, 16 or 16x16?
If you'll look closely, you can see the pics show two different sizes. The one with the black crossbar is 14x16", the other (with chrome crossbar) is the 16x18". Another facet of WindVest stellar customer service - they worked with me to get it right - including shipping out another size free. Even paid for the return shipping for the spare shield.

·
Hoof Hearted?
717 Posts
I looked here at their website and didn't see the 14x16 or the 16x18 for the 900. Do they offer models that aren't on the website?

Also, their website doesn't list the 900 Custom in the dropdown on the Kawasaki page but does show it here in this model listing. Looks like their website needs a good refresh from a model standpoint.

And which one did you settle on?

Once again, thanks loads for your information.

·
Dazed and confuzed
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I looked here at their website and didn't see the 14x16 or the 16x18 for the 900. Do they offer models that aren't on the website?

Also, their website doesn't list the 900 Custom in the dropdown on the Kawasaki page but does show it here in this model listing. Looks like their website needs a good refresh from a model standpoint.

And which one did you settle on?

Once again, thanks loads for your information.
Like a lot of vendors, the 900C has taken a while to propagate thru all the displays...As you saw, page 4 of the Application Guide lists the fitments for the Vulcan 900 Custom - parts 10-1042 14" (refers to height) thru 10-1442 16"x16". The mounting hardware is tailored to the bike - in my case it was handlebar clamps.

I settled on the 16 x 16 - your mileage may vary.

·
Big, Bald, Beautiful!
283 Posts
Like a lot of vendors, the 900C has taken a while to propagate thru all the displays...As you saw, page 4 of the Application Guide lists the fitments for the Vulcan 900 Custom - parts 10-1042 14" (refers to height) thru 10-1442 16"x16". The mounting hardware is tailored to the bike - in my case it was handlebar clamps.

I settled on the 16 x 16 - your mileage may vary.
Would love to see some pics of the clamps, front and rear view, as well as the "screen off" view, if the clamps are left in place?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.