Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out this afternoon on my '08 kawi 250... as soon as I hit the highway I realized how horribly windy it was. I'm pretty tiny (5'5'', 110) and I got slammed across all three lanes of traffic...luckily, I just missed every car that was there with me on the road... too close. I immediately got off the hwy and stopped at a friend's place, refused to ride home and got him to drive me to school.

Wind is not my friend.

Any tips?

·
Patriot Guard Rider
562 Posts
I went out this afternoon on my '08 kawi 250... as soon as I hit the highway I realized how horribly windy it was. I'm pretty tiny (5'5'', 110) and I got slammed across all three lanes of traffic...luckily, I just missed every car that was there with me on the road... too close. I immediately got off the hwy and stopped at a friend's place, refused to ride home and got him to drive me to school.

Wind is not my friend.

Any tips?
Your on a very light bike.....and your light as well. Im not really sure there are any tips to help you out much.....wind is just vicious sometimes.

I was in some wind the other day that was probably the worst Ive been in. Im 300lbs and I was riding a full dresser Goldwing weighing in at 800 lbs.

Still I had to hold the bike at an almost 45 degree angle to go straight.....and when I was heading into the wind my bike would merely maintain speed at wide open throttle.....there was NO accelerating in this stuff.

I guess if someone has any great tips my ears are open as well.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Experience in the wind is really all that can help you. Stay in your lane on the side the wind is coming from and anticipate it and react by leaning into it to keep it straight.

That being said, you're light and your bike is light, on a windy day, keep it off the highway. I'm almost twice your size, and my bike is heavier, and I've had to get on the side streets on very windy days. It's just safer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pretty well what they said, experience in the wind is a huge help, but ur tiny and ur bike is light (I easily weigh twice what you do and the wind gets me plus my bike is a bit heavier too)

Stay off the highway when its windy, try to use back roads & side streets until ur more accustomed to how its gonna knock ya around

Good luck & I'm glad you didnt get hurt!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So glad to have found this info!!

I'm a newbie with just under 1000miles under my belt, have a "08 kawi ninja 250e and just had my first 3hr hiway trip alone. I wasn't afraid of my bike or traveling that distance. My fear was the wind (approx 20-25mph on hiway) on the bridges and overpasses that were elevated over small riverways & bayous. I live in Louisiana. I did ok my trip to my destination but the next day the wind seemed worse. It would feel like the bike would be blown right out from under me. I found myself reducing my speed (less thatn posted limit) to feel like I could keep the bike under control. I thought maybe I just being "a girl" and uneducated on how to compensate for the winds. headwinds I could handle but when the crosswinds would catch, I was afraid I would panic. And that is something that I know you cannot do while riding a bike. I called my boyfriend and had him to come and get me. He was very sweet and understanding. I felt so many emotions, from feeling stupid, inadequate to being smart for having a healthy fear and respect for things that I cannot control. Anyway, I feel better knowing I'm not the only with the same feelings.

·
Registered
22 Posts
on windy days try takeing the back roads and enjoy the ride.there's no reason to put yourself through that unless you have to.good luck riding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts