Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ed Scott - Old-Time Biker
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well stupid Ed walked off and left his summer gloves on the table at a restaurant the other day. I was in my truck, so of course I would have noticed if I'd been on my bike.

But I can see it's been a while since we had an evaluation of winter gloves here and I can also see there are hundreds of high-tech heated and unheated gloves, stainless steel or plastic knuckle protectors, switchable vents even!

Anybody got a pair that they think is pretty extraordinary? I'm considering the Cortech Injectors, but $80 plus shipping is a bit steep for me...

edit: I do have winter gloves, but they're like wearing boxing gloves, and getting pretty hard since they're over 15 years old. I'll worry about getting more summer gloves when it becomes important to me... being president of the local procrastinators association.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
I use the tourmaster synergy heated leather gloves. They're not easy to get wired up, they are expensive ($150), and they are a bit stiff until they warm up...but I've ridden in 20 degree weather at 70 mph for a couple hours and my hands stayed warm. I've also ridden in rain (they are waterproof) with temps in the high 30's/low 40's and my hands stayed warm. And unlike some gloves, these come with a temp controller (which is necessary for undistracted riding in my opinion).

They have some soft insert type 'armor' but nothing comapared to the racing gloves I've seen. Anyway, if you plan to ride in the very cold, or the wet and cold, these things are great. If you're just going to ride in the kinda-cold, might look elsewhere for something cheaper and easier to use.

That is what I'm currently doing...looking elsewhere for something to take up the slack in the kinda-cold area. My Fox Creek guantlets aren't the greatest...not all that warm, and they allow air to flow up the guantlet to your wrists. :frown:

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I've tried a number of "winter gloves" and use a pair of Firstgear ones right now. I want heated gloves though, even my Firstgear ones don't keep my fingers warm like i want.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
I have these:

4370 High Viz

However, they're multi-season gloves, not specifically winter. So they aren't as warm as they could be, but do a reasonable job. The photo doesn't do the yellow justice - it's really bright. I kind of like that. They have knuckle protectors and a squeegee.

I took about a 15 mile ride yesterday in less than 35 degree weather and my right hand did get cold by the end. My left stayed comfortable, despite keeping it on the grip the whole time. I can only conclude there's something off with the insulation on the right glove since they should have felt pretty much the same with the equal exposure.

I'm thinking some glove liners would help a lot, though I might upgrade to something like this:

4296 Gore-Tex

or this:

1310 Trailblazer II

if I stick with the same brand.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
mittens are the best, also don't grip too hard and cut off the free bloodflow to your fingers.:D
+1 ^....I agree....5 little piggies under one blanket, will be much warmer than 5 little piggies individually covered. ;)

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
I'm glad you've asked this question, Ed. Right now I'm using snowmobile gloves, but they aren't as warm as I'd hoped. I'll be looking at the local cycle show in Feb. and would like to hear some opinions.

·
2007 Red 900 Custom
525 Posts
I have these:

4370 High Viz

However, they're multi-season gloves, not specifically winter. So they aren't as warm as they could be, but do a reasonable job. The photo doesn't do the yellow justice - it's really bright. I kind of like that. They have knuckle protectors and a squeegee.

I took about a 15 mile ride yesterday in less than 35 degree weather and my right hand did get cold by the end. My left stayed comfortable, despite keeping it on the grip the whole time. I can only conclude there's something off with the insulation on the right glove since they should have felt pretty much the same with the equal exposure.

I'm thinking some glove liners would help a lot, though I might upgrade to something like this:

4296 Gore-Tex

or this:

1310 Trailblazer II

Stay away from the 4296 Gore-Tex gloves. The pair I bought had nothing but problems. They were warm, but only *mostly* waterproof. Water got through the seams and would soak up in the insulation. This made the liner stick to your hands and would pull out when you took the glove off. Getting the bulky liner back into the proper finger holes is frustrating, irritating and time consuming. STAY AWAY!

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
I have these:

4370 High Viz

4296 Gore-Tex

or this:

1310 Trailblazer II

I'm no Doctor, but seeing one hand was ok, and the other got cold, could it be a blood circulation problem ???

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
High price does not equal good quality. Gortex and thinsulate are important, removable liner are the key to warmth. I found a great pair at Ross for 8 bucks and they beat the heck out of my tourmasters.

·
03 ZX-12R
609 Posts
I've never used or even seen anything better than the Tourmaster Elite. They are Excellent.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
I'm no Doctor, but seeing one hand was ok, and the other got cold, could it be a blood circulation problem ???
Well, I've always had cold hands, so that is part of it, but never just with one.

I just think something is funky with the right glove.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I've been wearing a pair of Castre snowmobile gloves that my brother gave me for Christmas in 1982! I've ridden in temps down to the high teens, and they've done OK, but they are starting to show their age. I was feeling more and more air coming through them, so my wife gave me some Tourmaster Polar-Tex this past Christmas. They are not nearly as bulky as the Castres, so I also grabbed a set of Polarhands handlebar mitts to really keep out the cold. Then my bike broke. Sadly, I have yet to test out my new cold fighting combo, and with this new blizzard coming in tonight, I won't be riding anytime soon. :frown:

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
I've never used or even seen anything better than the Tourmaster Elite. They are Excellent.
Those are nice.

Tourmaster makes some nice stuff at the right price, though these definitely aren't "cheap". I do wish they came in other colors. I like the bright flash of yellow on my current gloves (though I'd prefer red). It's nice to have those spots of bright color to help with visibility on a gloomy day. Under those conditions, bright colors work better than reflective materials.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have as many pairs of gloves as my wife has shoes :) I like my middle weight ones with heated grips for winter. No long rides, but works for my 30 minute to 1 hour commute.

Brian

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have as many pairs of gloves as my wife has shoes :) I like my middle weight ones with heated grips for winter. No long rides, but works for my 30 minute to 1 hour commute.

Brian
Please forgive me for momentarily hi-jacking this thread.
Dude! Is that signature for real? Did you really do that to a Fiero? I'd like to see an OT thread just about that project.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

·
Registered
264 Posts

·
Ninja tomato farmer
17,646 Posts
I have those and so far they've been great. They are warm and waterproof. A bit bulky, but not enough that I feel they hinder control. And my bike provides no protection for my hands against the wind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts